• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Low cost ES9018 DAC board GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1) Turbon - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
2) syklab - 3 PCB, 3 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
3) bbe - 2 PCB, 2 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
4) pchw - 2 PCB, 2 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
5) quan - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
6) richard_pc - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered ?)
7) yoaudio - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
8) hsi68 - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
9) syyma - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
10) freeman - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (non pre-soldered)
11) redrooster - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
12) tubo - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
13) freeman - 2 PCB, 2 ES9018K2M (un-soldered)
14) mvsavage - 2 PCB, 2 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
15) danzup - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
16) MarcellD - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)

22 kits so far... :)

Yes BOM & schema should be most welcome + closeups on both sides of the boards.
How was it? Was the design carved in stone or could we have a saying about extras, placement and so on?
If - yes we can and it will be implemented then I'll probably sign up for another one... :)

Regards

Last edited:
I am not supposed post the schematic on the public domain I have some restrictions on that but I can assure you all that everyone participating in this GB will surely get the schematic and bom as I told earlier prior to shipment of the boards. Currently there is a lead time for the IC, so everybody can wait a little and let me know once minimum number of participants for the group buy target is reached. If the group buy exceeds my minimum target no problem at all. So I will just wait for two or three weeks to see the maximum number of participants willing to participate in the GB by the time the IC will also get ready. Also some members are privately messaging and asking for a fully built and tested DAC, I would like to inform those members I do not offer such an option. This GB is intended primarily for everyone to make their own dac at very low cost. I currently have only the digikey bom but I will prepare a Farnell bom as someone requested for the members from Europe. In the meantime those members willing to participate post your wish....thanks

Sent from my Q700i using Tapatalk

There is no much info about ES9018K2M on the internet, maybe the chip so very new on the market.
I see it was designed especially for mobile devices.
Did anyone knows about his sound quality abilies, compared to bigger brothers from ESS ?
I only listened to ES9023 and i like it considering it's price.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Syllable,Who owns the copyright to the schematic? Have you asked for permission to post it here? Are you going to post a photo of the other side of the board? Trying to get info about this build is like wringing water out of a rock! If there's any problems I'm sure that people here @ DIY could design a good board (maybe even better) and we can get on with the job.

Syllable,Who owns the copyright to the schematic? Have you asked for permission to post it here? Are you going to post a photo of the other side of the board? Trying to get info about this build is like wringing water out of a rock! If there's any problems I'm sure that people here @ DIY could design a good board (maybe even better) and we can get on with the job.

Maybe that is a great idea red :)... I have seldom found a bunch of this educated and smart people gathered anywhere ;).

Let's do it - empty board 100*80 or any industry standard size...

I'm out as this seems to have some edges...

/Regards

1) syklab - 3 PCB, 3 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
2) bbe - 2 PCB, 2 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
3) pchw - 2 PCB, 2 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
4) quan - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
5) richard_pc - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered ?)
6) yoaudio - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
7) hsi68 - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
8) syyma - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
9) freeman - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (non pre-soldered)
10) redrooster - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
11) tubo - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
12) freeman - 2 PCB, 2 ES9018K2M (un-soldered)
13) mvsavage - 2 PCB, 2 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
14) danzup - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
15) MarcellD - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)

1) syklab - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
5) richard_pc - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered ?)
16) tvicol - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (un-soldered)

Just updated my to 1 set.

I am not supposed post the schematic on the public domain I have some restrictions on that but I can assure you all that everyone participating in this GB will surely get the schematic and bom as I told earlier prior to shipment of the boards. Currently there is a lead time for the IC, so everybody can wait a little and let me know once minimum number of participants for the group buy target is reached. If the group buy exceeds my minimum target no problem at all. So I will just wait for two or three weeks to see the maximum number of participants willing to participate in the GB by the time the IC will also get ready. Also some members are privately messaging and asking for a fully built and tested DAC, I would like to inform those members I do not offer such an option. This GB is intended primarily for everyone to make their own dac at very low cost. I currently have only the digikey bom but I will prepare a Farnell bom as someone requested for the members from Europe. In the meantime those members willing to participate post your wish....thanks

Sent from my Q700i using Tapatalk

Sorry Syllable but I'm unlikely to commit without adequate information and you seem reluctant to share any with us. Perhaps you could address the specific questions I posted earlier;

2. Can you provide info on the analogue output stage, what does it use etc.
5. Can it be used with an external master clock?

For general information; based on the name printed on the pcb in the initial image I did some quick googling and found a couple of references to 'Audiodesine'. The first was audiodesine.com where a commercial dac, apparently using this pcb, was listed for sale for $395 US. Strangely since then all the items for sale on the website have been removed. I still have the page open so I'll try to capture it.

There is also a reference to the same commercial product, with an image of the pcb that is on offer here, at this location;

LOW COST ES9018 DAC AND REGULATOR BOARDs, DIY (Engl.) - HIFI-FORUM

I'm in for a group project ES9018 board if necessary, though I have few technical skills to offer.

Ray

1) syklab - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (pre-soldered)
5) richard_pc - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (non pre-soldered)
16) tvicol - 1 PCB, 1 ES9018K2M (un-soldered)

Just updated my to 1 set.

@all,
considering how cheap is this whole project (including chip) you shouldn't have such high-end audio expectations from it, although we'll never know how this dac and implementation might surprise us :)

meantime I checked this dac's minimal pdf infos, so my other questions would be

first Q - it is stated there that chip supports SPDIF, I2S and DSD input - so my question would be what need is for the 3 SPDIF receiver chips on the board if this dac accepts SPDIF directly?

second Q - doest this dac work in hardware mode even without arduino microcontroller?

third Q - in case of populating microcontroller place of board, what type of LCD do we need for the display and where would be connected?

fourth Q - if we don't need balanced XLR outputs, can we skip some opamp and the specific population of the board?

as I saw a local clock on the board, I suppose that in this topology the dac would work only in async mode, so if someone would want to try it in sync mode should route the source's MCLCK directly to the existing clock output pin

as I also suggested earlier, farnell BOM is a must for EU customers to easily source their components so we'll wait patiently for that one too :)

as I found a little bigger image of the board I will try to post it so everyone could better see the details (click on it and it should expand)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.