" ... Love the sound but hate the look "

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi my point is that listening without seeing the system (listening blind) can help to evaluate better a system. The look can be deceiving.
I have noticed that if i put a sleeping mask on i hear the sounds more ? is it possible ? because the brain is free from the work of processing video images ?

Yes, also listening late at night when there is less ambient noise, any distraction is detrimental if you want to focus, whether it be on the music or the system.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I often lounge on the sofa with the stereo on.
Lights dimmed to relax, maybe a drinkie nearby on the table.
I don't need to sit up, in some "sweet spot" to enjoy and "get into" the music.
And I don't need to stare at the stereo, it's behind dark smoked glass doors in the entertainment center cabinet.
Yes, the remote controls work fine through the dark smoked glass.

The bottom line is - enjoying the music.

Back about 1980 I read a magazine article written by some fellow named Pass. It inspired me to build something called A40. Of course being the proud builder I thought the A40 was beautiful. The wife hated it. It had rows of aluminum ‘L’ brackets with TO3 transistors bolted on, huge capacitors, transformer and many flying leads. She wanted something that “looked nice” so we bought a Marantz 4300. Excellent receiver and it does look nice. I took apart the A40. The Marantz lasted longer than the marriage. Looking back all these years later, I should have kept the a40 and broken up with the woman.:nod:

:up: another solution is a wooden rack with a dark front glass as someone here suggested ... and usually women are not that picky about sound quality
I have never seen girls in an audio shops alone ... never Always with their mate ... man mate I guess mostly to please him

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I'd stay clear of my part of the UK then, as my sister in law not only went into the audio shop by herself, but she listened and chose a stereo for herself. She also has a mean right hook when riled.

My wife also had her own (good) setup before she met me. Bought solo in a shop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.