love and respect for all of the great minds here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unfortunately many other experts don't come here - or anywhere. I once asked Floyd Toole if he ever visits forums and he said "No". I asked him why, and he responded that people just attack you when you actually are an expert, so what's the point? I truly sympathize with him.

DIY is the only place that I have found that is even civil, and its not always that respectful here!

I bet they do under aliases just like the more common folk. They are people with inquisitive minds too after all. I say that because I can think of some reasons why established known professionals in the audio field would like lurking around in sites like this. And why they would rather keep online identity private online and off.

This is one of the best sites going on the net if you ask me. One of the most populated and trafficked that I know of. Where you can find answers and solutions to just about everything. Someone knows if not knows where to find someone that does.

Last edited:
I did see Toole reply to some comments/questions about a presentation he gave to a college that was recorded and then put on YouTube, but there was no back and forth discussion

Floyd sometimes posts on LinkedIn, but even there things can get testy. I talk with Floyd through LinkedIn. We talked just the other day about early reflections in rooms. I asked him if I could post the discussion on DIY, but he hasn't responded, which to me means "No".

That's exactly what Floyd also said when I mentioned DIY - "Why do you put yourself through that!". I've heard it from other people as well, including my wife!

I must be a masochist!
I think we all know this place is a relative gold mine for ideas. Not all personal sacrifice. What happens os one idea sparks another, and if you can put the math behind the abstraction ( and doesn't all good art start as conceptual abstraction?) I think that hanging here has many rewards for all of us diy or not. We give and we receive some more than others, but that is life 😀

And this planet is the only one I've got. DO you have more options!?:cloud9:

The logic says that the life in itself is a sort of energy, and the law of
conservation of energy should apply.

Since humans and the rest of the life forms that we know of, are
programmed to support the life, they grow with time, adapt and become
different in all kinds of ways, I deduce that the programmer has some
sort of grand plan with all these creatures.

Mankind and its senses of reality perception is limited in this visible
universe and therefore we can tell the truth about something only
limited, in fragments.

That there is potential for infinite reality, we know from natural sciences.
Although this very same science is not capable of answering the basic
philosofical questions, it helps us to understand life.

The logic says that the life in itself is a sort of energy, and the law of conservation of energy should apply.

Since humans and the rest of the life forms that we know of, are
programmed to support the life, they grow with time, adapt and become
different in all kinds of ways, I deduce that the programmer has some
sort of grand plan with all these creatures.

Mankind and its senses of reality perception is limited in this visible
universe and therefore we can tell the truth about something only
limited, in fragments.

That there is potential for infinite reality, we know from natural sciences.
Although this very same science is not capable of answering the basic
philosofical questions, it helps us to understand life.
FAR OUT Lojzek! That clears it up then... :D

I like reading Lynn Olson, Joachim Gerhard and Earl Geddes of course. All are generous with ideas and time here. planet10 aka Dave is always willing to suggest an interesting alternative too. Lars Dyreborg aka tinitus is a great loss, a real builder and tweaker and adjust by ear man. Still worth reading. The standard of woodwork never fails to astonish me too.

But a lot of good stuff gets drowned in the noise. I was embarrassed by the lack of response to this terrific project:

500061d1440342286t-classic-monitor-designs-system.jpg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/147632-classic-monitor-designs-25.html#post4428857

Wonderfully well documented, and given away for free. The response:

What does the FR look like if you switch the tweeter polarity?

Really! :eek:

Why don't more 'experts' post here? Several reasons:
1. Not all 'experts' are really experts. Probably more than any other branch of engineering, audio suffers from self-appointed experts who stumble over the basics yet can still sell product by adding a good story (which they may actually believe themselves). Such 'experts' would be quickly exposed here by those who know the basics (and much more) yet actually make their living doing something else.
2. All experts have gaps in their knowledge. Gaps can lead to making silly remarks, which someone on here will correct. Some experts are not accustomed to having their pronouncements questioned. Fortunately, there are some who are happy to come here because they realise that facing reasoned questioning can sharpen their own knowledge and help fill in the gaps.
3. Some folk forget that the basic difference between an amateur and a professional is that one does something for love and the other does the same thing for money. One is not necessarily more competent than the other. Claims along the lines of "I sell lots of product" to back up a false argument do not go down well here.
4. Some experts may become tired of having to explain basic circuit theory or feedback theory or Fourier theory or sampling theory for the Nth time to people who regard their own ignorance of these matters as being somehow a more advanced form of audio knowledge.

DF96 - completely agree, with a small comment on #3. Professionals do tend to spend more time working on the subject than amateurs, and an amateur has little disincentive to holding false opinions. But it is correct that there is no reason why any amateur could not be more competent than a professional.

The math is simple, imo.

Which again is the math of self-sacrifice, an argument always less convincing from a beneficiary. The real math is the cost/benefit analysis of getting into endless, easily searchable flame wars with non-professionals who apparently harbour distrust on principle of anyone in the industry. You'll find that sentiment in this thread. Don't discount that these are people, with professional lives and reputations at stake. I still don't see the upside for them engaging in this kind of environment.

The real math is the cost/benefit analysis of getting into endless, easily searchable flame wars with non-professionals who apparently harbour distrust on principle of anyone in the industry.

its not distrust but abhorrence to folks that try to use the forums to push their services, products, or some other BS agenda. cant we have spam free zones anywhere.
Hi PeteLeoni
sorry I don't bow to PhDs ( have a few in my circle already ) sometimes dismissive behavior is really avoidance of those senseless debates that in end amounts to nothing but willy wagging. yes indeed life is too short.
in the spirit of DIY I value the build / project pictures much more than anything else!
FWIW the "industry" pros have their own playground if they want to mix it up in the DIY sandbox my hats off to em esp. if they use their real names.

Last edited:
its not distrust but abhorrence to folks that try to use the forums to push their services, products, or some other BS agenda. cant we have spam free zones anywhere.

So what I hear you saying is that you don't want any professionals here at all. Because, by definition, professionals work in the industry and as such any thing that they say could be taken as pushing "their services, products, or some other BS agenda."

Professionals should be conscious of their situation and not overly "push" their products or services, but the audience should also be conscious of the fact that a forum devoted to just amateurs is bound to go awry.

So what I hear you saying is that you don't want any professionals here at all. Because, by definition, professionals work in the industry and as such any thing that they say could be taken as pushing "their services, products, or some other BS agenda." .
no nothing that drastic, that's not a conclusion I think I suggested ?
even pros" have civilian clothes they should change into when venturing out into the world at large, right
Professionals should be conscious of their situation and not overly "push" their products or services, but the audience should also be conscious of the fact that a forum devoted to just amateurs is bound to go awry.
yes as you know 1st hand

Last edited:
..getting into endless, easily searchable flame wars with non-professionals

I think we can all agree that these are unnecessary and a sign of bad
manners. I would propose that every side points out its arguments in a
concise and comprehensible manner and call it a day. I personally like
David Smith's (aka speaker_dave) approach to explaining the matters.

I still don't see the upside for them engaging in this kind of environment.

The upside would be to not let the ignorance become the dominating
factor among DIYer audiophiles. I am aware that very often even the
most reasonable evidence is not enough to bring people to their senses,
but the vast (silent) majority will benefit.

Whenever I feel like that an expert is truly an expert, I simply buy his
book and then his presence isn't exactly necessary on a forum.

Everyone should make a decision for themselves how to participate
and if that would be advisable for them at all. I am glad to see people
share their knowledge.

I wish you all the best.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.