• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Lots of Toroids and Transformers for Sale!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi SCD and Twitchie,

Needless to say, there are thousands of project these could be used in. I'm presently using a 19-0-19 in my Firstwatt F5, and a 26-0-26 to power an IRS20954 120 watt class D. I'll make a few suggestions for some projects I've either done, or would like to try:

-T6, T7 and T8 would be perfect for most of the Firstwatt amps
-T45 would work well in an F3 (Thanks Twitchie)
-T38 would be perfect for an IRS20954 reference class D amp
-T5, T12 and T14 could be used as above for more power (500W FB)
-T5, T12 and T14 could be used in an IRF Moskido (I still have PCB's)

All of the 50-0-50, 52-0-52 types would be perfect for higher power class AB designs with either BJTs or FETs. There are many on Elliott Sound Products:

http://sound.westhost.com/projects-1.htm

If you're into Class D stuff, you could also make very high power designs with all the 52-0-52 transformers. You'd end up with about +/-70V rails which could give you 2x250W with a reference IRF20954 design. Check out the IRAUDAMP7 on the IRF website:

http://www.irf.com/technical-info/refdesigns/iraudamp7s.pdf

If there was sufficient interest, I could design a PCB and sell it with the transformers. I have enough of those 52-0-52 transformers to make it worthwhile.

The IRF amps are badly under-appreciated in the Class D world. They're extremely easy for beginners to build, they're very scalable as far as power is concerned, and there are well documented reference designs available. They also sound excellent.

I've been using an IRAUDAMP5 for a year now on my PC, and I love it. I attached a picture of it with the same transformer as T38, and a regulated supply. The regulated supply is a little overkill, but it works well.

If there is any interest, let me know and I'll start up on it.

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• class d small.jpg
    class d small.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 400

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Twitchie,

Good call on the chip amps. T6, T7 and T8 would be perfect for that, although you'd have to be running at least 5 to 7 channels to make that size of transformer worthwhile. Depending on the chip used, you could probably support upwards of 10 channels without a problem.

I think the chip amps are so popular because of their simplicity. Although in the end, they tend to hum and buzz if you're not careful with the grounding, and the problem gets much worse in a 5-7 channel design. I went through the same phase though, so I fully understand. I think I had built at least 20 chip amps by the time I moved onto other things.

Anyone interested in a high power class D? Maybe multichannel class D? I could do a 7 channel board which could be used for home theater, or with full bridges for the front two channels in 5.1. Lots of flexibility!

Cheers,
Owen

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Owen,

More on the Class D IRF amp you have - price/where to buy...also interested in your class D...

I havae a UCD400, ICEPower ASC200 and Tripath 3020, so I need another Class D like a hole in my head....liking old school class A a bit more these days

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

It has been a while since anyone has posted on here, but there are still transformers available.

I have three 19-0-19 700VA transformers left, which are perfect for an F1. Loaded rails will be almost exactly +/-24 VDC.

Since roscoeiii wrote first, you'll have first refusal on the remaining toroids.

Anything left will be available to you caligula455.

If you can both send me a note via email, and let me know what you're looking for along with your postal code, then I can get you a price with shipping. If you're looking for two transformers then we can work out a better price to help offset shipping costs.

Thanks for the interest guys!

Owen

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Toroid List Update

Hi Guys,

Well, I think this will be the final posting for what's left of the toroids. Most have sold over the last little while, and only 11 remain. I dropped the price on all of them, some more than others.

Just as an FYI, there was a fellow here in Ottawa who picked up 5 of the 52-0-52 toroids to build Leach amps with. I think he was running slightly higher rails, but that's going to be a pretty cool 5.1 home theater setup! There are still two of these left, if anyone else is interested in building a Leach amp.

As always, send me a note if you're interested in anything here!

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• latest toroid update.pdf
    10.3 KB · Views: 88
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.