Looking to build the ultimate 3 way speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New member, long time lurker! I have been dabbling in speaker stuff for over 15 years, and it seems like no matter what I have, there is always some thing else that I want in place of what I have got. LOL!

With that in mind, I want to build the ultimate DIY front stage for my home theater. My goal is to have a pair of really good 3 way fronts for my theater. I will worry about the center channel later, so for right now, I will just be building the fronts.

I would like to use the venerable JBL 2225 for the lows, perhaps a pair of them, then for the mids something like the Radian 850pb, or the 835pb. I am not sure about the tweeter yet.

I need suggestions for the tweeter and high frequency horn.

& also which mid, the 850PB or the 835PB:? I need to keep the mids down to no more than $300 each, and then no more than $200 each on the tweeters.

Also, if you guys can suggest some horns for the mids and also give me you suggestions and or opinions on whether the 850pb or 830pb would be a good mid range driver to use for my budget of $300 each. Keep in mind that if I go with the 850 or 835pb then I would eventually change out the diaphragms to the Be Truextant diaphragms.

I can handle the crossover just fine.

What do you fellows think about this?

Picture attached

Heres the picture

Attachments

• DSC_0046.JPG
    DSC_0046.JPG
    755.4 KB · Views: 415
As you are looking at PA drivers instead of high fidelity, might look to see what the good Dr. Earl has done with them.

You would need to define what you consider "ultimate" as what you are describing seems more suited to a small club PA than a home theater.

New member, long time lurker! I have been dabbling in speaker stuff for over 15 years, and it seems like no matter what I have, there is always some thing else that I want in place of what I have got. LOL!

With that in mind, I want to build the ultimate DIY front stage for my home theater. My goal is to have a pair of really good 3 way fronts for my theater. I will worry about the center channel later, so for right now, I will just be building the fronts.

I would like to use the venerable JBL 2225 for the lows, perhaps a pair of them, then for the mids something like the Radian 850pb, or the 835pb. I am not sure about the tweeter yet.

I need suggestions for the tweeter and high frequency horn.

& also which mid, the 850PB or the 835PB:? I need to keep the mids down to no more than $300 each, and then no more than $200 each on the tweeters.

Also, if you guys can suggest some horns for the mids and also give me you suggestions and or opinions on whether the 850pb or 830pb would be a good mid range driver to use for my budget of $300 each. Keep in mind that if I go with the 850 or 835pb then I would eventually change out the diaphragms to the Be Truextant diaphragms.

I can handle the crossover just fine.

What do you fellows think about this?

from my cook book :

I would use your JBL 2225 as sub up to 100hz

and above Beyma 12p80nd, up to 1,5khz, and above Beymat TPL-150. You won't never look back to horns/compression drivers. Been there, know it. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.