Looking for WAF helping advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

My first post here, I have been lurking for a year or so figuring out what I wanted to build. I have built two amps, now its on to the woodworking part of the sport...

Based on lots of reading of recommendations to others and comparing to my listening requirements, I have settled on a Curvy Chang build with a FE 207 driver in BB.

Now, to the fun part...I am on the wrong edge of passing the WAF test and I had an idea to tip them into acceptance...it did evolve after drinking a fine amout of beer one evening.

So, I need your input. Can I build the CCs into built in bookshelves or am I asking to turn the whole bookcase and the gypsum board wall into a resonator with awful results?

Thanks,
Steve

They will be housed in a large room, 25x30ft with 25ft ceilings and the bookshelves would be in corners of the room extending out 10ft, so placement has some variance.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It would be an interesting experiment. But...

No opportunity to play with toe, in speaker separation, pull out from wall for less bass (if needed) better imaging...

Also -- it isn't going to be easy to hide the curvy bit.

How about, building, getting placement right, then building bookshelf around (or stand in between)?

Have you got 207s already?

dave

You're going about this the wrong way. First you find a pic of the biggest horns you can find and tell her you're building them for the living room. These should do the trick (see below). When she regains consciousness, you pull out the pic of the Curvy Chang! You'll be surprised at how much more favourably she'll look at those babies ;)

Attachments

• void_horns.jpg
    void_horns.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 247
You're going about this the wrong way. First you find a pic of the biggest horns you can find and tell her you're building them for the living room. These should do the trick (see below). When she regains consciousness, you pull out the pic of the Curvy Chang! You'll be surprised at how much more favourably she'll look at those babies ;)

you could start your negotiations with :

electron luv | hi-fi vacuum tube atomic age audio, amplifiers, guitar amps, speakers, horns, Salt Lake City, UT

then settle for something like Scott's delightful Maeshowe (shown here with Mark Audio/CSS EL70)

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 236
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Or just leave her and find a woman who likes CCs
:D

Ummm.... Similar to some of the designs here (speakers, amps, etc.) the theory suggested here will be satisfactory to some, while for others it could be rather costly and might not suit their needs. As with any design there are trade-offs. For example - the new woman may very well like CC's - but wishes you had a bigger woofer, or bass bin, or more expensive and refined taste in the wood working department. YMMV :rolleyes:

OTOH - your current spouse model might be able to be modified, tweaked, upgraded to meet your needs. See the forum on flowers and candy - and for high end upgrades - jewelery.

As a last resort there are a number of forums available over in relationship counseling - and as a last resort - legal advice.

ITMT - I thought that P10 had some CC's for the Fostex - but perhaps I'm thinking of the Mark Audio drivers???
Take a look at - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...te-home-theater-el70-chr-70-alpair-7-a-2.html

Hey - we feel ya - and we are here to help!!!! :D

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ITMT - I thought that P10 had some CC's for the Fostex - but perhaps I'm thinking of the Mark Audio drivers???

CC = Curvy Chang is for FE207. Maeshowe is new Woden Horn for CHR/EL70 (althou A7 seems to work accepatably).

The Fostex V-Bomber series are all similar, the one for FE126 only slightly changed from Maeshowe. These 2 fit into a sheet of 5x5 BB, the other 2 are larger.

dave

The best answer depends more on the relationship than on speaker design. If she is pretty sensitive to such issues, if you don't want grief, my suggestion is to discuss it before you build it.

Having said all that, my suggestion is that you build some bookshelf speakers that will fit in the bookshelf for "routine use", and also get some nice speaker stands to be kept elsewhere and brought out to place the speakers in optimum postion for extended listening sessions.

Hi lowpoke, where do those amazing horns come from?!

I take it they are called "Void Horns" from the filename? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• void_horns.jpg
    void_horns.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 110
Excellent advice

Thank you all for the excellent advice...some of which I surely cannot afford :D All of it a very good laugh.

I did show her a few of the more esoteric examples to warm up the discussion and then pulled out my sketchup of what the bookshelves would look like...and...

Lighning struck twice. She was visiting a friend earlier today whose husband has a rather large set of FR speakers that were "beautifully finsihed" and sounded like she was back in the Met (don't know the source, don't care right now). Also, I forgot that she wants to move the piano (nice old rosewood square grand) back into the room. "And wouldn't a nicely done set of speakers on either side of it look beutiful if you could match the finish".

Lo and behold, I am now clear to build the CCs without interruptions. Now to go get all of my tools back from another house I have been re-finishing and get to a good lumber yard!

Dave, I will need a set of EnABLed 207s, but not for a while yet. With my travel schedule and two young daughters "helping out", this build will not be fast :eek:

Thanks again all,
Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.