looking for schematic for prewar Gibson EH150

David: does your tube shield say "Goat"?

Hi PRR, sadly the tube shield is MIA, I can see where the ground wire was attached to the chassis though.

That looks like 11 Watts in an 11W plate. I'd fret; except with Field Coil speaker the speaker sensitivity and damping changes with amplifier total power demand. As I do not think this will be a 40 hour a week amp, I'd leave it as it is.

I think it can only be a curiosity, or special-sound, amp, not something any modern player would use a lot. Gain is way low, apparently low even within a few years. We could "fix that" with another stage or a booster pedal. But that speaker was only strong enough to play clean (like a radio), not to survive OVERdrive. And hasn't gotten any stronger in 80 years.

Hey David, dont know if you have this amp still. I am in need of some measurements on the interstage transformer. I have a Supro on the bench that is basically this exact amp. It has a half open secondary, causing one of the power tubes to run super hot due to no grid DC reference.
If you could be so kind, I need resistance verification on the primary and secondaries. You can measure in circuit. My primary measures about 1.7k, the secondary that is good measures about 3k to CT(ground). Do you get 3k to ground from each power tube grid?
I've subbed in an interstage tranny(124D) but I can tell it does not quite match. Any help would be amazing!!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's like 1/10th the impedance of the original. BTW, the two sides should match in DCR within 20%. Same number of turns. Probably different average diameter.
I know this, that's why I posted...the one side of the secondary is completely open, like over 20M. obviously the amp clips asymmetrically.

I also realize the Stancor and some others are the typical replacement, most likely because the options are few. The resistance measurement of the primary would lead me to believe I could do better than the Stancor or similar. Once again I measure 1.7k on the primary. 6A6 is a medium mu tube with around 24k plate resistance.

Also, my tube shield has "goat" on it ;).

I'll state again what I am hoping for: resistance measurement from each power tube grid to ground if you have what I believe is the oldest version of the EH150 or the 1930s National Dobro Amplifier. They were basically the same amp(power tube substitute). Also verifying the primary resistance of the interstage transformer would be appreciated. I realize this is an almost absurd long shot; anything I can do to preserve this amp is worth it.

You might consider disconnecting the transformer from the circuit and applying a gentle voltage to it to see if its transformer action seems OK.

I had done that Friday. 1 volt on the primary side gave me about 1.5v on the working secondary. The problem remains I'm not sure if the working secondary is partially shorted, open, healthy or not. Remember half the secondary is open. This is why I need a resistance confirmation so I know the turns ratio to spec out and then I can also calculate the impedance; or get close.

If half the secondary is factory spec, I guess I have a 1:3 ratio, which tracks with other designs from this age.