• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Looking for quality input caps to experiment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow wow wow

li_gangyi said:
hmmm...then I guess I'll have to pass...just one of my bad days...guess living in Singapore has it's disadvantages...

Hey disadvantage is not living in Singapore, not living close to Peter Daniel is;)

Thanks Peter this is great, appreciate that..
:)

I have to set up some kind of docs in a table format to record my review of those caps..
Chris:D

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

After much hesitation I decided to also include those caps, as they seem to me the best sounding of the whole bunch

Those look suspiciously like motor start caps...often PIO or MKV...

I do recall Dice45 claiming the Siemens/Epcos MKV caps were the best he'd ever experienced.

There are still some vendors in Germany selling those, as anyone tried them?

They're not all that expensive...

What gives?

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Although the ones pictured are not the best grade, they outperform all the other caps I tried in sense of naturalness and neutrality. I like them especially in tweeter networks.

Always same ole' story with Siemens....they make the best and than abandon it or sell it....bugger.

Still, there's hope...there are still a lot of Epcos caps around and they're considerably cheaper than most other boutique caps.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if these would turn out to be great in tube PSs and as coupling caps...

I'd better shut up now or I'll be left with nothing to buy...shhhhttt...

Cheers,;)

Motor caps

I'm doing some test with motor caps from INCO.
The are very big PP caps with 500 V AC (1200 V DC)
And the are costing only 10,75 euro for a 10 uF.

In the documentation from INCO I can reed that they don't use aluminium as foil but a silver/zinc alloy. The electical performance improved much better.

I know a German loudspeaker with motor caps (Terizan)

The only problem is to get those caps. I had succes in a washing machine shop.

Has anybody did some testing in loudspeaker X-overs ?

Peter

The follow caps are listed in the order that I will pick to use for the latest pairs of my updated JLH using MJ21194, CLC power supply with 22-0-22 400VA, Iq set at 3A. Small copper clips with Belden hook up wires are soldered between RCA center pin to amp board used to prevent unnecessary soldering when changing caps. Volume control setting remained constant at the pre-amp. Mute and source toggle switches were used when changing caps.
Amps stayed power on to maintain same heat sink operation temperature at 46 degree Celsius during testing. A pre-selected number of tracks of several CDs were used repeatedly.

1/ S+M MKV, most natural sound, good balanced gain, dynamic overall
2/ Surplus Aerovux 2uf oil can(my own) bypass with small cap of 100nf (my own), similar to S+M but gain is higher, just lost by a hair on finer detail clarity.

From here on the list are like second class caps
3/ MIT MultiCap 2uf, sound ok and balanced in gain but a bit veiled/congested
4/ Jensen paper in oil bypass with MIT MultiCap 0.47uf, sound good and smooth at first, very strong coloration give you the false sense of reality, still sound good to the ears though. But it is not my cup of tea.
5/ PB470 ST MKP 4.7uf(my own), natural sound, less gain, dynamic not as good
6/ INFINCAP Wonder 5uf, sound a lot louder in bass but boomy
7/ Hovland Musicap 1.8uf, sound like small Hi-Fi system, way too much coloration, and cloudy.

From here on the list are like third class caps, nothing special, sound a boring
/ PPE-MKP-FC 2.2uf
/ WIMA MKS 10 - 2.2uf
/ MIT MultiCap 4.0uf

Ran out of time and not tested, kept going back to 1 and 2 to listen to compare.
/ Nichicon 44 – 5.6uf
/ AEON FINE CAP 4.7uf
/ UNKNOWN B 32231 4.7uf

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.