Looking for Other FR Speakers to test.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mp9 said:
can the ceinwyn chang work with the 166esr?

'fraid not. Sorry. The 166ES-R doesn't really suit this kind of load too well, unless you're willing to put up with slightly weak bass, or use a few ohms of series resistance on it.

Speaking generally now, as I regularly point out, a cabinet is designed & optimised for a specific driver, so stuffing something else into it is rarely a good plan.

Scottmoose said:

166ES-R doesn't really suit this kind of load too well, unless you're willing to put up with slightly weak bass, or use a few ohms of series resistance on it.
what values/components are required to add the series re? i plan to drive them/2a3 set, will its higher output impedance reduce the need for series resistance? would the iris be a better choice than the cer. chang wrt using less s. re.? i know the longpath blh is best /166esr .21qts however id like to minimize horn delay. i'm told the bvr will do just that. wrt bvr do you think the added series re and or reduced bass output without, render a futile effort?

Scottmoose said:

'fraid not. Sorry. The 166ES-R doesn't really suit this kind of load too well, unless you're willing to put up with slightly weak bass, or use a few ohms of series resistance on it.

Speaking generally now, as I regularly point out, a cabinet is designed & optimised for a specific driver, so stuffing something else into it is rarely a good plan.
allright scratch my previous post, if adding series resistance or reduced bass bvr/166esr is a really bad idea, i'll take your word on it.

I just heard the Pioneer anniversary FRers here in Akihbara and I'll admit, THEY SOUND GREAT in a small, shoebox-sized, ported enclosure driven by a 300B. Remarkable depth of field, detailed mids and treble with just a hint of bass at normal listening levels. The treble sounded much more pleasant that any of the similar sized fostex speakers other than the f120a. I'd have to do a carful comparison to decide between those two if in the market for new FRers, but the Pioneers are about 60% the cost the Fostex F120a here in Japan so they'd probably get the nod.

planet10 said:

Thak goodness for the Subaru. Just to prove Daniel wrong i just drove it down the driveway & parked it next to the road -- in some spots the snow was up to my knees (maybe i should get the snow-plow attachement :)). The plow has been thru so we can get out tomorrow morning (gotta go fetch the godson)

dave

Slightly OT sorry,

Hi Dave ,

I'm just curious on what kind of sound system you put on your car, Do you use Fullrange drivers as mid high , plus a midbass and subs, Or are you using the usual tweets, mids, midbass, subs setup.

I hope you dont mind me asking :)

Thanks.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
marchel said:
I'm just curious on what kind of sound system you put on your car, Do you use Fullrange drivers as mid high , plus a midbass and subs, Or are you using the usual tweets, mids, midbass, subs setup.

The Sub is my wife's. It has the stock 6 1/2" whizzer cone full ranges in the door.

My truck has 2-way bostons in the dash, and similar (i think) in the doors... nothing elaborate and from before i discovered FRs...

Car hifi is just not a big deal to me.

dave

Thanks dave,

I was thinking , with all the FR speakers you have in stock, You must have used FR in you car, But I was wrong.

I"m asking this cause I am in the procces of setting up an elaborate Sound system for a new car , A civic. And I will be using the CSS FR125 as midrange on a tweets, mids, midbass and subs setup, I already have all the drivers including the passive XO, I made for the Seas textile neo tweets and the FR125, All Thats left is to install them all, The mid and tweets will be mounted on each corner of the dash.

Sorry again for the OT, Now back to the topic. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.