Looking for a good not expensive streamer

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yes it was as I wrote with the addition that a dirty source is accepted. I would like both a clean source and good DAC/FDA etc. Good looks are welcome too. Old fashioned I know. Cheap and technically ugly are prime parameters and then solving the ugliness and issues are modern pastimes.

But it is all useless debating. The thread is about non DIY devices under 1000 Euro and OP has bought a non DIY non open source iFi Zen stream that is defective and will be replaced. The thread likely will continue about the Zen Stream and if it really is a good and not expensive streamer.

Last edited:
It's an interesting question and one I've pondered - IF ever RPi / Allo Kali (reclocker) / Volumio became unviable.
I currently need I2S in to my dacs, which Kali provides very competently.

Both RPi and Kali thrive on good linear power.

I current use Qobuz / Spotify for rarer stuff, as streaming service.

There are few glitches really, never in sound or pops when in use.
Occasionally Qobuz fails to show up in the Volumio app on start up, usually an RPi reboot or logging out and in to Qobuz resolves it, or the Volumio guys make a fix quickly (as happened this week, same day).
With Spotify connect as a fall back, i'm never without music.
Plus I have a usb stick in my router that RPi can access with lots of flac tracks, just in case. This avoids using RPi's USB.

It is a whole environment to get into though.
The Volumio auto firmware updates always work so there's little hassle there.
I've not had a corrupted SD card, or had to do a reinstall in a couple of years. I shutdown and power down regularly - listen 4 to 5 times a week.

Qobuz on Volumio has amazing sound quality but the user interface whilst reliable, takes a bit of getting used to.
Thinhs like selecting the previous track for the one you actually want[emoji846]
They are working on a new version.

Spotify connect means you just use the Spotify app, which is great.
I believe Tidal is the same.

RPI was simply not an option for me because I want to see a 768KhZ/1.536MHz PCM with LNS15 dither.... or DSD with ASDM7EC modulator at 256fs coming out of HQPlayer via USB port. Both will sound nice with a capable DAC. But both options need a very capable CPU. With this in mind, I think the NUC11 I suggested earlier was overlooked quite unjustly. One can get a nice, fully equipped NUC11 for 1000 Euro. This will handle anything you could think of streaming/processing-wise.

RPI's too limiting and cumbersome to get it to sound right. Even if you get an RPI to sound good - it'll be too expensive and still very limiting. Not to mention a bulky (and most likely unpleasant) look, and an enormous effort required to put that RPI solution in a box. You end up with something 4 times the size of a little NUC11. But, I see how a true DIY-er can find an RPI an interesting, challenging project which will probably sound reasonably good with maybe a DIY DAC, or a consumer DAC at around 2 maybe 3k Euros.

Furthermore, the NUC11 could be used as a very capable PC later on... if it gets replaced with a nice dedicated streamer, for example.

I want to see a 768KhZ/1.536MHz PCM with LNS15 dither.... or DSD with ASDM7EC modulator at 256fs coming out of HQPlayer
Sure, a powerful x86 computer may be needed for such a high-end esoteric configuration.
But this is way beyond what many hifi people want. And a rPi4 will do hi-res PCM and even DSD512 just fine.

RPI's too limiting and cumbersome to get it to sound right.
Like I said to jean-paul, that may have been true 7 years ago or so, but not today. As per post #60.
All you have to do is configure the Pi for bit-perfect playback, and a modern DAC with good quality USB interface does the rest.
The DAC I am going to use is my ADI-2 Pro Fs R from RME
Like that one.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hey Jan, I was the one who suggested the iFi ZEN Stream in post #4 - I don't want you to hold it against me if it fails again!
Set aside a hour or so for the first setup, have a glass of wine on hand, and maybe the first step should be to update the firmware -
How do I update the firmware? - iFi audio

I have downloaded the new app to my phone and although I couldn't (obviously, without the unit) complete the process, it looks a lot easier 'tight' then the procedure in the 'user manual' (a 1-page flyer of which 3/4 page is advertising :).

I would anyway never hold you responsible for my decisions!

Jan

RPI's too limiting and cumbersome to get it to sound right.

I don't understand what you mean by this. The RPi will not have it's own sound (assuming we're not talking about the crappy on-board analog audio output). All the RPi does is to run some software (Volumio, Roon, etc.) which handles the transfer of the audio data from your files or from a streaming service towards the HiFi DAC using I2S or USB. There's not much you can do (wrong) to make the RPi "sound" right or (bad).

Here's how I am using my RPis:

1. Living room and sleeping room HiFi systems: RPi 3 running Volumio and roon bridge --> Ian I2S reclocker board --> I2S input of DDDAC --> Honey Badger (living room) or USSA5 (sleeping room).
  2. Office headphone station: RPi 4 running ropieee XL --> USB Burson DAC + headphone amp
  3. Workshop system: old RPi 3 with Volumio and roon bridge --> I2S HiFi-Berry board with class-D amp driving a recycled tube radio (the tubes are gone...)

The family mostly uses iTunes streaming into one of these systems, while I personally prefer Roon. Works like a charm!

Maybe a Raspberry Pi 4? (I use Roon core and clients, Ropieee running on RPI4 connected via USB to DAC.)
I have an RPi4 that I haven’t taken out of the box yet. I think I’ll give this a try.

I’ve used the RPi platform for various projects since version 2. I used an RPi3 as a desktop computer for over a year. I also used the RPi-themed Linux distro which ran on Intel-based PCs. It worked great with older desktop CPUs which weren’t able to run Windows 10. Plus I enjoyed using a non-Microsoft OS.

So I think I’ll try configuring my RPi4 to act as a streaming media server, mainly for audio.

For video streaming I’ve been using my Xbox One which is equipped with an app which receives video streams from my iPad.

I do want to continue learning more about DIY media streaming.

-EB

Don’t know if this is helpful to the op or anybody else but I use the Yamaha wxd 10 and it’s cheap at around £140 new (less used of course) and sounds (to my ears) very ‘musical’ and nicely balanced. Doesn’t do gapless playback tho if that’s an issue for you. I love mine - it’s a great sound, sets up in literally a few minutes and a real bargain for the price.

Really?

There are many threads about the ins and outs of RPI but this one is about iFi Zen Stream. RPI seems like Covid, hard to ignore and in every thread and all channels.

This thread is about "Looking for a good not expensive streamer", not specifically an iFi Zen stream which did not make Jan very happy :D.
So nothing wrong with discussing the alternatives.
Seems like Covid makes us very picky about what's allowed and what's not allowed...:rolleyes:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yes a replacement iFi Zen Stream is on its way and Jan said he will tell how it performs.

The looking for a non DIY device under 1000 Euro is over and the choice has been made. Well aren’t we all curious how the final choice performs?

Last edited: