Looking for a ~50$ 2.0 amp for the garage...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im new to all of this and honestly Ive been reading but still lost. I was going to go with the Lepai 2020a+ amp but then reading on here, it seems the TPA3116 amps are better.

As I said Im going to be using this in a garage so it doesnt have to be killer quality or sound. I'll also be using ( I know I know... ) the Dayton B652 speakers @ 6ohm . Power supply, I'll have to buy one... I'll most likely use a laptop one.

Id like one pre-built in a decent case. I dont want to DIY, and I dont need a subwoofer. Just a 2.0 amp.

Other than that, I guess Im opened to opinions.

Technological advancements over the past ~15 years aside, you get more than double the output power with the TPA3116 since it can run at a higher voltage than the TA2020. The build quality on the Lepai leaves a lot to be desired; crummy push button speaker terminals, cheesy case, and look at the pathetic bobbin inductors....

9197399808_0d292311f5_b.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
As long as they are the genuine TPA3118 chips inside, this is an excellent amp with high quality parts.

http://www.amazon.com/SA-36A-TPA3118D2DAP-Digital-Amplifier-Adapter/dp/B00JXCEDGS/

Alternatively, the TDA7492 is also a nice chip:

Amazon.com: SMSL SA50 50Wx2 TDA7492 Class D Amplifier + Power Adapter (Black): Electronics

But if you are not opposed to soldering a few wires and connecting some terminal posts, you can save A LOT of $ by getting two of these for peanuts and they sound great (perhaps even better than the $52 SMSL).

TPA3118 PBTL mono digital amplifier board 1X60W 12V 24V POWER AMP-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Finally, if you want easy connectivity with your 19v SMPS laptop supply, this has a power jack, a volume knob, but you need to get an input header to 3.5mm or RCA or whatever you use. This amp is a steal and sounds fantastic. Capable of a lot if power if you have a higher voltage 32v supply. But works fine with 19v too.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Exce...mplifier-Board-Hot-Sale-Easy/32358000528.html

I have all of these amps - easy is the SMSL, second easiest is TDA7498. Best value and sound are the TPA3118 PBTL mono blocks.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The question of genuine only concerns the SMSL 36A pro which recently has had examples shipped with TDA chips while claiming to be TPA chips. Only way to check is to open up box.

The unit you got is a Breeze - not the best unfortunately. They have quality control issues (those rather heavy toroidal inductors are not physically stabilized and flop around during transport from China and have been know to break off and are DOA - can be repaired easily but a pain) and the layout is not tight. The $9 Sanwu TPA3118 monoblock sounds better (need two) and put in a box.

19v is fine for B652 speaker. Actually 12v will work well too.

The question of genuine only concerns the SMSL 36A pro which recently has had examples shipped with TDA chips while claiming to be TPA chips. Only way to check is to open up box.

The unit you got is a Breeze - not the best unfortunately. They have quality control issues (those rather heavy toroidal inductors are not physically stabilized and flop around during transport from China and have been know to break off and are DOA - can be repaired easily but a pain) and the layout is not tight. The $9 Sanwu TPA3118 monoblock sounds better (need two) and put in a box.

19v is fine for B652 speaker. Actually 12v will work well too.

\ Well Im assuming if there was an issue by what you said, when I receive it, I'll open it up and should be apparent, correct? How can they be stabilized once received? Hot glue? Seems as if they may end up melting when in use... Not sure if the board gets that hot though. I hope this amp is alright though. I seen it recommended a few times on here for light use. It'll be in a garage only. Im not opposed to soldering at all. Ive got a nice station as Ive made all kinds of things but I kinda got away from that all the older I've gotten. I was under the impression that to build one was twisting wires, buying each piece etc... Oh well I'll see what I get in the mail in a few weeks.

Apex, Jr. sells a 2x25 watt full range amp assembled with heatsinks and everything else except the power transformer for $20. (The Dual 25 full range amp) They sell a power transformer for it for another $10. I have used and abused one for a couple years now and it works fine. Cut a hole in a box to mount it and you are done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.