Looking 4 a simple NPN/PNP Output stage schematic useing Tip31C/32C Transistors??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Watch the current rating of your output transistors :att'n: The TIP31/32 have only a 3Amp continuous rating. To make sure they do not fail you should derate this by about 50% making your max average current 1.5A This will give you 9 watts in 4 ohms but 18 watts in 8 ohms!! So the higher speaker impedance would be better. You should also allow sufficient heatsinking.

The Op amp will determine your max + and - voltages with the commonest types running off +18v and -18v maximum.

Tony

Hi, I actually just came into some different Transistors which might be more suitable for a higher power amp....

Can someone give me an opinion on these Transistors and tell me if they would be More usefull than the others I have??

I have some:

MJE2955 PNP-60v ,10A
MJE3055 NPN +60v ,10A
Tip 125 PNP -60v 5A

IRF630 N-Mosfet 200v ,9A
RFP8P08 P-Mosfet -80v, 8A

Are these usefull for a Higher power amp??

Thanx

Yes, the MJE2955/3055's would make better outputs than the TIP31/32 devices. They are still only TO-220 packaging so I wouldn't go above 30W into 8 ohms with them unless you can use about 2-3 pairs. You could use the TIP31/32 devices as drivers for the MJE2955/3055 pair.

Thanx Guys.....I also have 2 pairs of Tip41/42,....

I am now thinking that i should maybe Make a Bit higher powered one now that I have some Higher Powered Transistors and some Mosfets and I found that I can"t use my 2x28v 160vA transformer for a Chipamp so maybe it would be better for a Mosfet amp or transistor amp.....

Well I now have quite a few things I can try building now I just have to figure which one would be best for me......

Thanx

Hi, Actually the GC amp (Bass amp) is a Bridged/Paralell useing 2 LM3886 chips and the PSU ends up putting out +/-42v Unregulated without a Load which is a Bit on the High side for a GC.....

I have a Huge (it says 100Va but it is Twice the Size of any 100vA Torroid I have ever seen) torroid that I will probably use for the GC Bass amp.......

Now I just have to decide on what Transistor/Mosfet design to use.....I would like to use the One that i will have to make the fewest Part substitutions but also optimize as much power out of the 160vA XFormer and be able to handle the +/-42v supply....

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.