long cable length, analogue or USB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the ODAC uses the USB/PC gnd as the analog output reference ground - so in either configuration gnd loops are possible with PC, AMP plugged into different outlets

and while the PC, USB port presumably had to pass some conducted emissions standards there is the issue of PC noise on any of its outputs

but this specific noise aspect really doesn't change much with either RCA gnd conducting the noise, or the USB cable

the PC noise may or may not be a audible issue - and it may be impossible to tell without the right measurement equipment, also depends on the amps sensitivity to RF, input filtering...

quality audio line transformer isolation could be "best" - breaks gnd loops, has limited bandwidth, cutting conducted RF noise - but cheaper ones introduce distortion, limit audio bandwidth

the gnd loop issue can be dealt with by other means - though the room wiring may end up looking strange

Or, select plan B or C from my pic, see below.

IEEE-1050 was great, although retired.

Here's the pic. Option A is typical of small home systems with no powered sub. If you use a separate outlet for the source, you extend the ground loop to the service panel, worse.

Option B is very simple, wrap the source line cord around the IC's, then around the amp power cord to the outlet.

Option C is a small variation of B. I cannot guarantee it will work for long runs however, as I have only done if for 125 foot runs of unbalanced line level between the source and the amp, with 15 kW of scr based lights, a quarter million volt vandygraf, and a toro 700 leafblower. Houses typically are worse...

jn

Attachments

• system ground layout options.jpg
    system ground layout options.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Interesting stuff - I had guessed that there must be many set ups similar to mine with a PC several meters from an amp but my searches found little comment on the best combination of cables to join the 2, I then assumed that it made little difference or was blindingly obvious! - I think I will give the 5m USB cable a try

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.