Logitech z5500 sattelites TB W3-871s.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
willhub said:
Hi, i have a Logitech Z5500 speaker system, the sattelites use the TB W3-871s drivers, but the enclosure is not good enough, so i would like to make a new one which is tall enough so that i dont need to use speaker stands......
may I suggest a couple of Needles? easy to build, great sound. there is a thread in this forum with the plan. you might want the notch filter if you play them with another amp than the Logitech one. (this is assuming there is no filter in the speaker unit already).

the notch filter for the W3-871S is an 0.56mH coil, a 6.8 uF condensator and a 6.8 ohm resistor pur in parallel and this together put in series with the driver

Attachments

• needle.jpg
    needle.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 346
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The needles are cool - I built pair out of foam-core just for fun.

But as sreten pointed out, the Logitec amp has a crossover built in, so there is no LF going to the W3-871s. It would seem like a waste to build the lovely needles and then hi-pass them at ~150Hz! :(

willhub:
so i put one end of a transistor in the red, and one end in the white, then put the volt meter on the transister?

REsistor - not TRANsistor. But otherwise, yeah, that's what you do.

REmember: REsistor. resistor, resistor, resistor, 8 Ohms

The reason you are doing this is to learn what the crossover in the Logitech amp is actually sending to the speakers. If you don't get the measurements right in the first few tries, no worries, you can try again.

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.