LNB Paralabs

My first posting on this Forum and as you can probably tell I like my Paralabs.
I bought a pair of LNB Paralab 40s a few months ago and have enjoyed them greatly,
They are 3 way speakers with 8" Bass, Celestion HF1300 and Coles 4001. As far as I can tell at the moment the two high frequency units are 15/16 Ohm, and the crossover is fairly basic. I thought thre bass units were KEF but I am thinking they may me Dalesford.
I would love to find more info on these speakers and any mods that people may have carried out.
I have seen many comments on the various LNB speakers and I have a small collection of LNB reviews from a HIFI magazine but nothing, yet for the 40s, can you help?

Photos

Here are some pics showing the fron panel, front and back and the basic crossover. The Caps, all 2 of them, have been replaced.

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 2013-04-17 17.11.42.jpg
    2013-04-17 17.11.42.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 319
  • 2013-04-17 17.12.24.jpg
    2013-04-17 17.12.24.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 217
Paralab 20s

Hi - I have had a pair of Paralab 20s for some years - they are astonishingly good for fairly small speakers and feature (I think) Kef B200s, T 27s and STC super tweeters. I read somewhere that they were designated as labyrinth cabs mostly to avoid litigation from Arthur Radford and Dr Bailey, but were, in essence T - lines. They seem to absorb endless quantities of power without choking up and have only recently been usurped by my huge Radford Transmission lines - also from the 70s. I haven't seen a pair of 40s before - they look good!

The recessed baffle ( for the cloth cover ) is a little out-of-time , as the angles should be curved . The baffle itself, as I see, it's removable. A good upgrade would be IMO to rebuilt it with thick MDF ( with inside flare for the woofer hole ) or better aluminum or carbon fiber. Just kidding :)

Hi - I have had a pair of Paralab 20s for some years - they are astonishingly good for fairly small speakers and feature (I think) Kef B200s, T 27s and STC super tweeters. I read somewhere that they were designated as labyrinth cabs mostly to avoid litigation from Arthur Radford and Dr Bailey, but were, in essence T - lines. They seem to absorb endless quantities of power without choking up and have only recently been usurped by my huge Radford Transmission lines - also from the 70s. I haven't seen a pair of 40s before - they look good!

I have read that the difference between a T/L and a Labyrinth is that the Labyrinth has the same crossectional area all the way through and the T/L tapers. The bass unit on the LNBs is not at the start of the labyrinth it appears to be about 25% of the way along,

The recessed baffle ( for the cloth cover ) is a little out-of-time , as the angles should be curved . The baffle itself, as I see, it's removable. A good upgrade would be IMO to rebuilt it with thick MDF ( with inside flare for the woofer hole ) or better aluminum or carbon fiber. Just kidding :)

You may well be correct about the baffle, as the HF1300 is affected by the edges of the cabinets. Take a look at this: Spendor BC1.

I have two Kef B200 1022s and am going to make 2 more baffles, I also have a pair of Spendor BC1 crossovers so, just for the fun of it, will try those too!