lm4780 2.1 volume control?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am hoping someone can help me (and I searched the forums and google to no avail) I am about to put together an lm4780 dual mono amp, but in the future I may decide to add an extra mono channel using one lm4780 to drive a subwoofer.

My question is how would I connect the rca signal to the extra chip (subwoofer mono chip) is it ok to split the signal coming into the amp, to a seperate volume pot for sub volume control, or would this mess up impedance etc...?

The signal coming into the amp would not be going through a pre amp but direct from a DAC.

In theory your amp should have infinite input resistance so there shouldn't be any voltage drop. In reality you will loose a small amount of volume, how big or small this would be I'm not 100% never tried 2.1 my self so I don't really know.

I Can't think of any way of mixing both channels for a middle on with out loosing stereo ability.

Also in this case it's not true 2.1 but that's not really of importance.

Last edited:
Ah thats ok then, but wouldn't splitting a signal into two, make one of the stereo channels slightly quieter?

Yes, to such a small extent that you won't notice any difference.

I Can't think of any way of mixing both channels for a middle on with out loosing stereo ability.

You are probably refering to crosstalk through the mixer. It does usually not affect the imaging too much. If you want to calm your conscience, use a stereo low pass and put the mixer after that. That restricts the crosstalk to the region below the filter frequency. It takes a few more op amp channels than the usual setup with the mixer before a mono low pass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.