LM3886 best price

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I am a new member and I was wanting to find out the best places to buy the LM3886 power amplifiers. What is the cheapest price on the internet? I want to make my own circuit board and do it right with a good design. I was talking with a kid at the local high school and he designed a great circuit. He said it will put out 500 watts and sounds really great. It only uses one LM3886 with a tube booster. Thanks for your help.
Frank

Amplifier

Well the kid says it should put out at least 500-1000 watts if the power supply is big enough. He was going to find a 2000 volt transformer for the tube ( out of a radio transmitter). I just want something big for my new speakers he is building. He knows what he is doing because he built a few kits and they do work and he isn't charging what other would charge. The total cost of the amplifier is less than $1 per watt (plus the cost of the tube which he hasn't gotten the price yet). He said the frequency response goes out to 1 mhz.

If everything goes well we are going to patent the amplifier and probably manufacture them so if people want one they will probably be available later in the year.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

Frank

What is NOS? I will ask him if it has a NOS in it. Is NOS a better way of doing it?

The reason for going with a tube is that all good amplifiers or really expensive amps are tube and usually you get what you pay.

Is there some good design book on amplifiers I could get so I can learn what you all know?

I want to build large amplifiers and really good ones.

Thanks for all of your help.

Frank

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I would have thought an output transformer for 500-1000W would likely cost a small fortune, as it will no doubt have to be custom made.

Sorry if I sound sceptical, but I wouldn't trust lowest price bid on any engineering job, let alone something that involves bringing lethal voltages into a domestic residence...

Alright, I've toyed with you long enough.

NOS = NAWS = Nitrous Oxide = NO2 = Nitrogen and 2 Oxygens

Commonly used in high performance cars and popularized in the movie fast and the furious. Mocked everywhere by people who see other people get all funny in their pants when they see NOS stickers.

As far as being able to develop a world class amplifier, go to your local university and go through the major for an electrical engineer. To develop a new and amazing amplifier that isn't just off the shelf there alot of design considerations. You can't just take a design for say 65W, throw some fancy component in front of it, and make it develop 10 times the power without some major caveats. At the very least go to your local college and take a few electronics classes. You'll learn alot.

Anyways, good luck on your endeavors...hwoever misguided. If you come up with any ideas post schematics on here and I'm sure quite a few of us will critique it and give you some tips.

-Greg

Frank10 said:
Hello,
I am a new member and I was wanting to find out the best places to buy the LM3886 power amplifiers. What is the cheapest price on the internet? I want to make my own circuit board and do it right with a good design. I was talking with a kid at the local high school and he designed a great circuit. He said it will put out 500 watts and sounds really great. It only uses one LM3886 with a tube booster. Thanks for your help.
Frank

Try Steve @ Apex.jr for LM3886 chips and insulator pads. I think he sells them for $3.xx each.

uhhhhh............ as to the 1000 watt tube thingy....are you sure you're not mistaking it for a RF amplifier? you said he got the transformer out of one. How in the world is that tube even useable for audio purposes? Its designed to amplify stuff in the MHZ range, not the hz-khz range. Besides, a 500 watt tube ( specifically ones in transmitters) need forced air cooling, some even had water jackets because they got so hot. If true 500 watt AUDIO power could be acheived with one of these transmitter tubes, then why wasn't it done before? Nice joke about the NOS :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.