LM380N Headpone amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

Not sure if I am putting this in the correct section so apologies if not.

The sound from my PC is pretty dire (amp before so never a problem), just built up a amp based on the LM380N with a 15V 500mA regulated supply. All is working fine as I expect it would, It is basically the sound monitor from a matamp supernova.

Problem is it really starts clipping from 80% onwards, if I reduce the line input it is still the same. Any ideas or tips of things to check?

Wondering if the impedance of my headphones could be too high. Sensitivity 100dB/mW and 40 Ohm @ 1khz.

Joined 2011
All at work, have just got rid of all my personal test equipment due to space after a recent move.

Ok, then run a variable amplitude 1kHz triangle wave into it. See where it clips, on both polarities.
No need for a load. Is it close to symmetric? If the amp running on a single supply, is it still biased
to half the supply voltage at the outputs?

Last edited:
Are you wanting me to inject something like 1khz and follow the input to the output and see where it starts clipping?

It is certainly clipping on the output, I can control the input from min to max (connected to PC) even on 5% volume from the PC it is still clipping. I could try changing resistor values on +Ve

Joined 2011
Last edited:
Erm not sure if you can work out from the picture what is happening, it is in a test state atm.

Attachments

• 12809933_10153834650096131_788469042_o.jpg
    12809933_10153834650096131_788469042_o.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 76
Anything else worth checking at the moment, I am only with a DMM until I get to work. I have a feeling my headphones are causing the problem with impedance, just connected some Senheiser headphones and all attenuation just went out of the window and got basically minimum output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.