LM1458 Replacements Guitar Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I typically prefer tube amps, but I have a Music Man amp from about 1979 that sounds great. It has a solid state preamp section and tube power section. The preamp section uses LM 1458 op amps. Any thoughts on better replacements that offer a warm, clean, rich tube'ish sound?

Thanks

Being far more familiar with tubes, I inferred from the various negative comments regarding LM1458 and the comments on this board comparing one op amp to another that op amps color the sound much as do tubes. i.e. lots of positive comments about OPA2604, OAP2134, NE5532, and JRC4558. But, based on this feedback, op amps are not a noteworthy factor in the color of the sound in a guitar amp preamp? One is as good as another is for this application?

Buckeye Sound said:
Being far more familiar with tubes, I inferred from the various negative comments regarding LM1458 ...

LM1458 is about the cheapest opamp sold, extra bargain as it's dual, so it's basically you get what you pay for. Things have moved on, even at the budget end. The NE5532 mentioned is usually a drop-in swap and, though double the price, still only about 50 pence/cents.

Fit sockets and try a few.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Buckeye,
It's not the sound so much as the amount of noise you hear with no signal. I suggested the NE5532 as it does sound good and is quiet. The TL072 can be quiet depending on the circuit, but the output drive current is lower than the NE5532. Either one should be better in all respects over what you are using. I wouldn't use sockets, but that's your choice. If you do, get some nice Augates. Don't use cheap parts. They will cost the same or more than the op amps. Hmmmmm.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Howdy,
THe 4558 is close to the 1458 you are replacing. Buy name brand only. If the printing is bad and / or it's a brand that is not well know I would not touch it. Basically, if they are being sold cheap compared to the market in your area, they are most likely remarks, pulls or rejects.

-Chris

Or order any of them from MOuser. They are all cheap in cost.

The 5532 is a low noise op amp, bt it will use about twice the current as the 4558. This is not likely a problem in this guitar amp, but in a mixer with a hundred chips it would be an issue.

I agree with the others that "upgrading" the op amps might lower noise more than offer tonal improvements.

Here's what I've found. I tried four different op amps in lieu of the LM1458. I tried a JRC4558, NE5532, TL072, & OPA2228. All were new parts. I have a Music Man 112 RP 65 with 7 ops amps. The phaser uses 3, pretty much. All of the op amps were functional in the amp, except in the phase inverter position, IC-7 on my amp. The newer faster chips created funky bad sounds in IC-7. Here's how they did otherwise.

OPA2228: worked fine, did sound a hair thin, but not real noticable.

NE5532: I had high hopes for this chip, but it overdrove the preamp -- clean sound was not possible. Not a bad overdriven sound however. Might be a good chip for the OD in an RP amp?

JRC4558: Maybe a bit punchier -- nominal difference from the LM1458

TL072: Maybe a bit thin -- nominal difference from the LM1458

Lesson I learned: LM1458 op amps are the cheapest around, they work find in my amp -- put them in and forget them.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Buckeye,
Sounds like the NE5532 was oscillating. The gain will be no different as the circuit determines that. Should have sounded very similar to the others. What you should have been looking at was the noise floor.

Anyway, I agree. Leave the originals in.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.