Votes: 12 35.3%
  • a.wav

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • They both sound same

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The gain was matched as close as possible. Vinyl and digital versions differ through the files, so exact volume matching everywhere is impossible.

You are correct of course. In fact, I thought I heard the difference in the main body of the song(s) - the intros on the other hand sounded the other way round, so there's apparently a difference in dynamics/ compression between the two. Also, I admit I could easily have just made a lucky guess about this - they're very close as is.

-- Jim

For those who have been concerned about absolute phase inversion, please show me your ABX result of 1.wav versus 1_inv.wav. Myself, I have 100% success in ABX between 1.wav and a.wav, but random result between 1.wav and 1_inv.wav. I can hear no difference between 1.wav and 1_inv.wav, with Sennheiser HD598 headphones.

Attachments

• my_selfie.JPG
    my_selfie.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 116
When the system is good enough acoustic AP becomes mission critical ime.
Asymmetric waveforms must be reproduced in correct AP.
Asymmetry defines direction, and inverted reproduction sounds distorted.
Think it through.

Dan.
All variations from what would have been heard at the time of the recording can be classed as distortion, but the key aspect is how audible, and significant, those differences are to an individual. I would agree that inverted sounds slightly strange compared to the correct phase, if one rapidly jumps from one to the other, but I seem to quickly adjust to it, it's not a problem for me.

I guess it comes down to the individual, :) ...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, I voted. Did not think there would be much difference or that it would be enough to matter. But I did have a preference. One of the files sounds cleaner and fuller than the other. So I voted for that. Guessing it was the CD version. I have a 50% chance of being right! :D

Thanks for your vote, Pano, appreciated! :)
I will leave it undisclosed yet, as this test might attract more listeners.

Just one remark, I have been quite happy with the result. I have NOT used any pop-clicks removal from the vinyl --> A/D file, made by myself. The only "mastering" was during about first 2 seconds, fade-in, and similar about 1 second fade-out at the end. Nothing else. The vinyl record is quite new, being played no more than twenty times. There are no clicks or scratches audible and this is very rare even with absolutely new LP's. The vinyl is 2013 MCA Records reissue.

Last edited:
Why? Headphones do not create a positive pressure attack??
Do we need to use SE tube power amp to even enlarge the effect?

Look, I was a proponent of clear absolute phase audibility years ago, but I have become more and more skeptical, when doing more tests and more rigorous tests.

Nevertheless, I have double checked my recording system for polarity, and it preserves absolute phase from the input of the signal cable of the phono preamp to the recorded data. The only dubious might be a cartridge, which is also wired properly. So, the phase of both test files has been preserved as is. Per your request, I have added a phase inverted file to have both files with absolute phase, so one can make his choice. However, the added phase inverted file does not reflect the original file.

Will you post your ABX result of 1.wav vs. 1_inv.wav?

The classic 'vinyl sound' is on only one file. I think that the master was mixed to sound best on vinyl. Both files allow evaluation of the characteristic flaws of the master, but I think the flatter characteristics of the CD give more harshness to one only because of the engineering on the master. Do you know if both files come from the same master?

The 'vinyl sound' includes the sibilance on the left channel for the backup vocal groupings and audible noise floor increase at all the quiet passages.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.