List of the best sounding amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes this is correct, I got the dBs right though :D. It is stated here: Sheng Ya Factory Tour Report By Steven R. Rochlin

Good quality general purpose gear.
There s quite a lot that is made to enhance the look ,
but it s somewhat surprising that pressed steel is used
for a big part of the casings.
The less visible one , of course.....
P1010586.jpg

Good quality general purpose gear.
There s quite a lot that is made to enhance the look ,
but it s somewhat surprising that pressed steel is used
for a big part of the casings.
The less visible one , of course.....
P1010586.jpg

I agree, all aluminum would be nicer, if done for the same money. Every amp is done to meet the budget I quess, better to cut cots somewhere else than in the circuity or components. After all carbon steel is hard(er than aluminum) material given the material thickness, cheap, and it does not show really when all the aluminum decoration pieces are put on. :)

I agree, all aluminum would be nicer, if done for the same money. Every amp is done to meet the budget I quess, better to cut cots somewhere else than in the circuity or components. After all carbon steel is hard(er than aluminum) material given the material thickness, cheap, and it does not show really when all the aluminum decoration pieces are put on. :)

Agree for the cost concern , but steel is much prone to oxydation,
even if there s a paint layer.

The matter is how much time is the product expected life time,
and for such amps, it s better to build for durability.

As an exemple, two items i salvaged from being scrapped,
one is a 1980 Akai preamp , and the black box is a 199X Yamaha DSP 100.

Oxydation started from the painted casing , and if nothing is done,
it will slowly but surely contaminate the whole casing , including the inside.

Attachments

• AKAI PR04A.jpg
    AKAI PR04A.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 297
  • YAMAHADSP100.jpg
    YAMAHADSP100.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 305
single num ber THD numbers have been pretty much shown to have no correlation with the sonic capabilities.

dave

I might accept to some extend but one has also remember that IMD correlates with THD. I generally don't like the sound of designs that distort much at 20kHz (ie. the THD rises greatly towards 20khz). This feature also usually makes the amp to go wild with 19&20kHz test signal at high levels.

The fact is state of the art speakers achieve sometime 0,1% THD at 90dBa/1m , very good 0,3% , the crop 1% . The IMD correlate also .
The noise floor in the listening room is generally in the 20dBa range . You can expect hearing some IMD from the amplifier up to the -70dB range with some luck .
It is difficult to hear the THD and IMD from an amplifier under 0,01% . Perhaps with headphones .....

What are you hearing that the real question !!

It's not a Yank list ,it's a list of the most significant and the ones listed by you are not. That aside the Yanks especially during the era's of those amplifiers listed , made the best amplifiers....

:)

It's certainly an incredibly USA-centric list! There again it's a yank magazine.....

How about

Leak Stereo 20
Quad II
Radford STA25
Quad 303
Quad 405
NAD 3020
A & R Cambridge A60
EAR 519
Musical Fidelity A370
Sugden A21

Not in any way supposed to represent the best ever at any price but "most significant" from a UK view point...... Notice the lack of anything made by Naim!? ;)

You hear it too short, hear it for hours, days, and you may put it into trash bin. I have such amp (that sounds clean, rich) few years ago and feel something unpleasant, until I have my "Nice", with its natural sounds (natural means my ears take rest instantly while the sound stop, like what happened to nature sounds, it help to prevent listening fatigues).
This is a very reasonable viewpoint.
The low THD remind me of those of Deltec Precision Audio amps
Deltec Precision Audio
they use something a sophisticated frequency compensation scheme which allows high NFB and very low distorsion. Any connection between these trademarks ?
Are there simplified schematics on the web?
The THD on those amps are staggering low, like 0.001 at 400w 4ohm and .0002 at 35w. There are those that say amps with very low THD sound bad.......... Symmetrical bad......... :D:D:D
Then there are those that claim that amps with predominant third order harmonics sound bad but then you see a amp like the new Musical Fidelity amp get the highest accolades from the audiophile community and this amp practically only displays odd harmonics although at very low levels. More interesting is that the amp gets compaired to tube amps, now how s that :D:D:D
If one perform a hearing test (audible test) to compare two amps, and one amp sounds bad and the other sounds good - nobody isn't able to explain the exactly reason for the differences after taking a look to the measured THD values.

BTW - amps with predominant third order harmonics (like that one with predominant second order harmonics) sounds still very good, if there are not happens more or less thinking errors while designing. An example is the Graaf GM-20 (and various other CSPP/Circlotron solid state and tube designs).

Last edited:
May be some cathegories will help:

Example:
1. Power.
It must be able to brings 200W into 4ohm for 8ohm speaker or it will lack of power.
2. THD, IMD, Supply Modulation, noise, etc.
THD should less than 0.01% and <0.005% for IMD, <-65dB noise and SupplyM. otherwise it has no clarity, or FX box inside the amp. good and bad depend on FX type.
2. Damping factor.
Damping mechanism, should not create any additional distortion to the air.
3. Overall other Performance, power bandwidth, stability, heat effect, protection mechanism, etc, should not have listenable actions and effect.
4. ....secret....
5. ....others....

tiefbassuebertr has good list.

Best amplifier

Hi guys,

For me the best amps I have ever heard are the McIntosh MI350/MC3500s. I own a highly modified pair if MI350s and for me there has never been another amplifier which could come close.

There are of course more powerfull amplifiers.

The link to my modifications can be found on my web site at

ZED Audio | Where no amplifier has gone before! and Stephen Mantz MI350

Steve Mantz
Zed Audio Corp.

For me the best amps I have ever heard are the McIntosh MI350/MC3500s. I own a highly modified pair if MI350s and for me there has never been another amplifier which could come close.

For me, the fastest vehicle I have ever got on board is a Boeing 737. Previously it was a Fokker 28 :D But I think yes it is the proper route for a cost no object amplifier. Of course, there are better transformers, caps, resistors and NOS tubes.

Hi guys,

Steve Mantz
Zed Audio Corp.

Steve , i can back you on this one , my pr (MC3500) many moons ago did it for me, for many years, until i got a taste of custom built SS and moved on. i do regret not keeping them (current value and sonics) not sure how they would compare to current big watt tubes, but i'm sure they will impress...

:sing:

PS: Can't say i miss replacing the 16 output tubes.....;)

For me, the fastest vehicle I have ever got on board is a Boeing 737. Previously it was a Fokker 28 :D But I think yes it is the proper route for a cost no object amplifier. Of course, there are better transformers, caps, resistors and NOS tubes.

I would wager you have never heard a Pr of 3500's .......:rolleyes:

Hi guys,

For me the best amps I have ever heard are the McIntosh MI350/MC3500s.

I remember Mac mc3500 was used in Woodstock! '99 concert.It's unsurpassable and the greatest commercial tube amp ever made.

Quite possibly so ...... difficult for me to come up with an list of the best of the best, so many over the years , it will take some deep Ratiocination on my part to do such an list justice....

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Steve Mantz
Zed Audio Corp.

Looking on your link the MI350 looks excatly like the MC3500 , same swiches outputs on the front panel ...etc !!!

Nobody mentioned the Aleph yet? Single-ended solid state Class A for the first time. Significant, and it sounded good too.

Maybe for the first time in the US of A..., but certainly not the first one world wide!

I miss mentioning of the excellent sounding Japanese VFet amplifiers (still using a Yamaha B2). These are from an era where the "high-end" Japanese companies invested in the development of semiconductors "for audio", something actually and pityful not done anymore these days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.