List of Full range driver manufacturers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is so little information out there that people think such drivers do not exist. I couldn't find much searching online myself. This is why I asked for help. THANKS DIRK!

It really is amazing that you ask us for help, then effectively say when it is offered that we don't know what we're talking about.

Ciare HX201
Hemp FR8C
Audio Nirvana Super 12 Cast Frame
Moth Audio

ALL QUALIFY!

Really? Are you sure? I mean, given that they contradict several of your stated requirements, which is why nobody (inc. myself) mentioned them in the first place?

-Ciare HX201. Moderate (rather than the high you specified) Q, below 0.5 so not ideal for use on a baffle, unsupported. 5.39ohm impedance, rather than the 8 or higher you specified & lower that the Visaton B200 you say you 'cannot use.'

-Hemp Acoustics FR8c. Driver now out of production as company has merged into Ecol. Acoustics. No specs. available on its replacement as new drivers not yet in retail, but likely to be similar, albeit hopefully with better consistancy. Some stock may be left over in retailers of the old models. Middling Q, so again, not ideal for use on a baffle, unsupported, moderate Xmax (ditto), and 6.2ohm impedance -again, lower than you demand.

-Audio Nirvana Super 12 Cast Frame. Q in practice becoming acceptable, being in the high 0.6 regions. Impedance in practice down in the 6ohm regions. V. low xmax. so severely limited in SPL terms on a baffle assuming you wish distortion to be kept low.

Moth Audio Circada -Moth went out of business some years ago; driver unavailable unless you can find some 2nd hand or gathering dust on a shelf. Specs would have been about right, providing you're not expecting much LF, or high SPLs, but as noted, the driver has not been in production for a long time.

Naturally, the impedance in all these cases will rise with frequency, like anything else, but they're still not what you specified.

DC Gold might make one as well, but I need to see the entire specs.

On what basis do you assess that, given that DC Gold have never published any detailed specs., beyond noting 4 & 8ohm versions (both lower than you said you wanted, as 8ohm generally means somewhat below that) a rough average sensitivity (which aren't as high as you appear to be demanding), and claimed BW covered (no plots provided).

One more thought, a lot of people are trying the Tone Tubbies. There is a big discussion over at Audio Circle about this. The 12" anilco would need a tweeter of some sort and woofer for the lowest registers. But it seems to have a pretty wide range and very well received sound, along with reasonable Q is quite efficient.

Here's the thread I've been looking through, you may want to start at the beginning.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=54552.100

Scottmoose said:

It really is amazing that you ask us for help, then effectively say when it is offered that we don't know what we're talking about.

Really? Are you sure? I mean, given that they contradict several of your stated requirements, which is why nobody (inc. myself) mentioned them in the first place?

-Ciare HX201. Moderate (rather than the high you specified) Q, below 0.5 so not ideal for use on a baffle, unsupported. 5.39ohm impedance, rather than the 8 or higher you specified & lower that the Visaton B200 you say you 'cannot use.'

-Hemp Acoustics FR8c. Driver now out of production as company has merged into Ecol. Acoustics. No specs. available on its replacement as new drivers not yet in retail, but likely to be similar, albeit hopefully with better consistancy. Some stock may be left over in retailers of the old models. Middling Q, so again, not ideal for use on a baffle, unsupported, moderate Xmax (ditto), and 6.2ohm impedance -again, lower than you demand.

-Audio Nirvana Super 12 Cast Frame. Q in practice becoming acceptable, being in the high 0.6 regions. Impedance in practice down in the 6ohm regions. V. low xmax. so severely limited in SPL terms on a baffle assuming you wish distortion to be kept low.

Moth Audio Circada -Moth went out of business some years ago; driver unavailable unless you can find some 2nd hand or gathering dust on a shelf. Specs would have been about right, providing you're not expecting much LF, or high SPLs, but as noted, the driver has not been in production for a long time.

Naturally, the impedance in all these cases will rise with frequency, like anything else, but they're still not what you specified.

On what basis do you assess that, given that DC Gold have never published any detailed specs., beyond noting 4 & 8ohm versions (both lower than you said you wanted, as 8ohm generally means somewhat below that) a rough average sensitivity (which aren't as high as you appear to be demanding), and claimed BW covered (no plots provided).

I wasn't insulting you. I wasn't suggesting you didn't know what you are talking about either. I was merely addressing the fact there is little information out there.

As far as the impedance goes, I said 8Ohm or higher. Now that doesn't mean the impedance can't dip below depending upon frequency.

There's vast amounts of information out there. It's just that your apparant stipulations are too restrictive. You should tell us these things (actually not minding if impedance dips below 8ohms etc). You still haven't said anything about this famous baffle BTW -size? Room size? How loud are you expecting it to go? Material to be played?

Given your stated budget, you might just be able to scrape a pair of Supravox 215 Signiture Bicones. You wouldn't have any change left over, but these are probably the driver that gets closest to meeting your requirements & budget & providing you have a reasonably sized baffle, you should get ~ 45Hz out of them on a big baffle.

Somewhat cheaper is the Lyeco LY805F, which in many ways resembles the defunct Moth driver -reputation is mediocre however, and they're not all that easy to get hold of. It won't quite match the Supravox in extension, & it doesn't have as much useable excursion either, so SPLs will be more restricted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.