Linux operating system - practical for test and measurement software ?

Ga77a -- when I said that I meant I had no control over it Redmond had .
Stopping Redmond snooping on every action on my PC produced --yes a blue screen or it froze .

Linux is free --
Download ISO --create DVD ( yes I am old fashioned ) --run DVD --click--install .

Different world entirely I know there are not any constant messages /telephone home being sent to the Manjaro team or Github as I have many network apps to watch it.

Peace -how wonderful ! and I am back to owing it again .

Just so nobody gets the wrong impression --I could install Wine LTspice if I wanted to , I do not because they use Windows DLL,s which , as people who help others with malware know are already being used to download malware/viruses .

Its my choice and I have gone from being attacked using Windows to peace and quiet .

But that put me at odds --again with "vested interests " - comment --you know Duncan most of the British public use Windows 10 ---don't "frighten them " .

A world of unreality -la la land yet they accept being hacked daily -- "just download Team Viewer etc " when I told the public not to do that out came ----- nonsense its a good app ! . Of course it is its so good for hackers and India call centre desks that the owners running those illegal call centres make a mint .

Yep try and avoid using pulseaudio as this automatically does sample rate conversion mixing etc.

It's easy to disable. For example in Regolith, my Ubuntu derived daily driver, in an admin account edit the file

/etc/pulse/daemon.conf

changing the line

avoid-resampling = false

to

avoid-resampling = yes

To confirm success play an audio file and use this example command in a terminal window:

pacmd info | grep "sample spec: float"

The result should look similar to:

sample spec: float32le 2ch 96000Hz

BTW, Room EQ Wizard has a Linux version. :)

PA is a standard audio server, any general-purpose OS has one. Most users do not need bit-perfect access, they need stream mixing, switching devices on the fly, application-level volume, network audio, etc. If an advanced user needs direct alsa access, it is trivial to exclude a specific soundcard from PA.

Yes ALSA and pulseaudio were unfortunately an unhappy marriage.

Yes in the beginning this was a nightmare but they seemed to have fixed all that now.

I use Ubuntu Studio as well, I typically add those goodies manually to whatever distro I may happen to be using at the time just for the audio tools.

Recent editions include fixing the Pulse Audio EQ system to work again that hasn't worked since 14.04.

I have installed at this time the Pulse Audio Parametric EQ and it works fantastic it can be found here should you want to give it a try.

Pulseaudio Parametric Equalizer :: T5! DIY Audio Software & Hardware

I had the Pulse Audio Crossover app found in these threads installed once but never used it.
All of the sound cards I have use ALSA drivers, and work perfectly now !! :)

Jer :)

P.S. I have pretty much done away with all mechanical drives anymore.
Yes, I still have a few large HD's for mass storage that I only hook up when I need some particular data that I had saved.
I do still have my CD/DVD burner but haven't used it in 6 years because it is just too slow anymore for my liking, the only time it gets used is when I need to start a drive from square one when UEFI is fighting with me.
I had planned on burning my data to CD's for safe keeping but it takes to much of my time to do so, that is why I keep those huge Hd's around.
I have 4 SSD's now and will be adding some more again shortly.

As far as USB thumb drives I use RUFUS to burn a working bootable drive it has never failed me not even once.
It is found here,

Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases)

Unetbootin never worked consistently for me, and I rarely ever need a drive with persistence space anyhow.
Ya, windows I use only for some of it's tools, but I am slowly migrating from that pattern of doing things as well. ;)

Attachments

• eq.png
    eq.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Sorry went over the editing time limit, They really need to address that issue !!!
At least allow one to make that last edit once the editing box is open even if it is over the limit and let it post and then no more editing for that post, I am a very poor typer and having like maybe an hour of time would be Nice.
A simple post like this can actually easily take me 2 hours to build not to mention edit it. ;)

P.S. I have pretty much done away with all mechanical drives anymore.
Yes, I still have a few large HD's for mass storage that I only hook up when I need some particular data that I had saved.

I do still have my CD/DVD burner but haven't used it in 6 years because it is just too slow anymore for my liking, the only time it gets used is when I need to start a drive from square one with XP64 (yes I did say that didn't I He,he,he) when UEFI is fighting with me.

UEFI oh boy another nightmare piece of S$$$ f$$$$$ C$$$ !!!

I had planned on burning my data to CD's for safe keeping but it takes to much of my time to do so, that is why I keep those huge HD's around.
I have 4 SSD's now and will be adding some more again shortly.

As far as USB thumb drives I use RUFUS to burn working bootable drives it has never failed me not even once.
It is found here,

Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases)

Unetbootin never worked consistently for me, and I rarely ever need a drive with persistence space anyhow.

Ya, windows I use only for some of it's tools, but I am slowly migrating from that pattern of doing things as well. ;)

cheers!
jer :)

I always like reading the arguments against windows where people bring in privacy/snooping/malware type issues. Plenty of malware on other linux based systems (Android) stealing your data, and that has no default antivirus software. At least windows 10 has a workable solution built in that is more than enough for a power user. I've tried all sorts of sound level apps on my phone, and some of them are clearly going over the top on snooping.

The problem I find with the Wine solution, is that yes you can run things that way. But if the system is a daily driver for the windows apps, just run windows? You can throw everything you want against windows, but it’s big on desktop PCs. Lots of open source, free commercial and paid for software for all sorts of electronics/measurement needs.

In terms of privacy/snooping, what are you hiding? If you work in most industries these days and change jobs you are probably on Linkedin, CV is likely all over the internet. Lots of people are on facebook/twitter/instagram and make more info public than Microsoft would ever hold on you from your account with them. There is more info on the dark web about me than microsoft have, probably stolen from linux based web servers, quite scary if you use a credit check tool to find that.

Good example of an ongoing problem I have with linux is my laptops graphics setup with nvidia optimus. This is a common setup. Why does this relate here? Because I use HDMI audio to drive my AV amp with REW when I am making speaker measurements. Just getting it to work is a nightmare, once working trying to switch over to the HDMI audio is a random process most of the time.

Compare that with windows, plug in the cable, it switches audio, or I can switch audio, in a couple of mouse clicks. In fact it worked out of the box last time I had windows on there without additional drivers, or editing config files, or other changes/hacks in the terminal, or do i have the latest kernel modules for bumblebee because although it is obsolete it is the only thing that works, then make a measurement 3 hours later... vs windows were I install REW and make a measurement in 10 minutes.

I need to measure my speakers with my DSP box I am using on them now as active crossovers, but I just cannot be bothered trying to set it all up again with linux, I have better things to do... Never did trust the measurements vs the windows setup that just worked, the linux/REW/HDMI setup always seemed inaccurate.

Last edited:
From a business perspective Ohdsp yes Windows will suite and you do know Business Windows 10 isn't the same as the majority of the public have --Windows Home --don't you ?

I am sure you also know that some years ago Redmond had a meeting and after studying statistics which found MS Windows was a Minority system in the whole world if you take in all the mobile systems .

They decided then to BUY into the Linux Foundation and currently have about 15 % shares in it.

When looking long term they realized
they would lose profit not doing so.

You have given the reason hackers spend so much time attacking Windows --the majority of ordinary members of the public using laptops
use it but businesses are now targeted to.

Every month I get reports (from a USA source ) on the large number of patches required for Windows due to hackers overcoming Windows latest coding precisely because of the intentional "backdoors " .

It is so bad large numbers of patches are required in a system they "say " fully protects the public .
Both Windows and the US government & UK government know this so have issued recruiting adverts to entice them into both governments "services " if you know what I mean .

This has been done quite openly , many years ago I was asked via a big organizations adverts to join the FBI I went so far as to log onto their website but when it came to answering one question ----are you American ?? I failed and I live outside the USA .

I have many friends in American .org organizations who communicate with me so I know the score .

Check out the CIA program --ELSA ( a hacking program ) .
Thats the whole problem young guys get those good hacks and use them for profit but some have actually joined both governments programs as its easy money for doing what they like legally.

Every OS has its pros and cons. Please let's not turn the thread into linux contra windows, let's keep it factual about using linux for audio measurements.

For me linux means a way to build embedded (headless) devices with advanced features, using the countless already existing projects as building blocks, customizable due to legal availability of their source code. Also the drivers source code and associated development process (repositories, mailing lists, documentation) provide an (often the only one) opportunity to learn how the underlying hardware really works, down to every single detail available for control.

From a business perspective Ohdsp yes Windows will suite and you do know Business Windows 10 isn't the same as the majority of the public have --Windows Home --don't you ?

No I have pro and enterprise machines, dangerous to assume things. Makes no difference, for say running REW, same OS. Still gives me reliable results over my linux/rew/hdmi experience.

And yes every OS has it's pro's and con's, I wouldn't run both windows and linux if they didn't. But useful for people to know you can run into issues like I mentioned. Not just a plug and play solution, if that's what you want or need, on some setups.

I am one of those few people who use Linux almost exclusively. As some members of these fora might know, lately, I tried to use Linux to run software for a Hantek USB oscilloscope and failed miserably wasting many many hours. The web is full of pages describing how to extract the Windows firmware from the driver files, but this did not work. The extracted firmware does not work and the oscilloscope is not recognised. I tried many different methods failing in all of them. Not even once, the oscilloscope was detected. The only thing that 'worked' is a udev custom .rules file which allowed 'lsusb' to list the scope. However, this was a DEAD udev entry.

I STRONGLY advice the OP to avoid wasting their time fighting the manufacterer of their hardware to crack their Windows driver or to compile some rudimentary reverse engineered gibberish. Remember, you PAID for your hardware, therefore, you are ENTITLED to use its full potential, and if Windows allows that, use Windows.

After all this time wasted, I purchased a second hand laptop to use exclusively with my Hantek oscilloscope. I installed Windows 7 and disabled networking. I also built a shallow stool-like structure to safely fix the oscilloscope module underneath. The laptop is fixed on the top of the stool with all the cabling safely secured. This setup is equivalent to a fully portable oscilloscope with four channels.

Attachments

• oscilloscope1.jpg
    oscilloscope1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
No advanced activity is plug&play in any OS. Things are too complicated for the plug&play to work reliably every time.

The dual graphics setup is a very complicated arrangement which works in windows because the notebook manufacturer developed and tested drivers specifically for that model. Typically GUI apps communicate with nvidia GPU, yet the HDMI output (including the audio) belongs to the Intel video hardware into which framebuffer nvidia renders its resulting output. That allows different GPUs on application level (I do not know if that is supported in linux). The intel video HW can implement its HDMI Intel-HDA interface, the nvidia video HW can do so, any of the audio interfaces may be disabled by BIOS at boot (which is often the cause of nvidia prime problems with audio in linux).

Plug&play in linux "works" by adding specific quirks required for specific hardware to kernel drivers/configurations which implement the standard/general functionality, in windows by installing a vendor-specific driver (which may be already pre-installed in the OS).

Thanks , and Apple/Mac ?

First I say THANKS very much to everyone who posted.
There is a lot for me to consider , and also a lot for me to learn about ,
and I am grateful that forum members have mentioned the many contingent matters.

Second , if I have understood correctly , no-one has implied that the Apple/Mac system requires less compromises.
I had been expecting a few members to be Apple/Mac enthusiasts , however I could be mistaken , perhaps Apple/Mac enthusiasts are not diy audio enthusiasts.

Trying to get back on the topic about "practical for test and measurement software" under linux.

Hantek USB oscilloscope does not work.
The Labrador board seems to work.
The ICP12 usb oscilloscope circuit could work.

More thoughts about the two last ones?

(Edit: typing while alan-1-b was posting.)