Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks.

It's been a while.

My SB Touch keeps me busy, ..and also puddletag - the IMO new reference (Linux) tagger (SVN version).

I am currently trying to get my EMU 0404USB running to do some recordings for DRC.
I am running the Touch now with brutefir convolution on the SqueezeboxServer.
In my acoustically pretty poor living room this makes a huge difference.

To do those recordings under Windows was a "no-brainer". :D

Back to Linux:

Does somebody has expiereence with the newer style Ubuntu? ( Yes it's me asking this)

In the past I could route any traffic to or from hw:X,X to file with e.g. aplay/arecord

Nowadays I have to select/activate the in- or output device in the gnome-volume-control-applet first. (It is getting worse and worse, reminds me at good old XP times).

How do I make sure to get bitperfect data recorded, that won't pass any weird DMIX or PA mixer?
(I guess I know what's going wrong -- Pulseaudio sitting somewhere in the back.)

Cheers

Hi there.

Ubuntu or Linux Mint comes with a lot of advantages. I am not really willing to switch distros for now.

The distro itself, the community and the documentation I still consider the best around.
Beside that I don't want to run "audio-only" special purpose PCs in "normal" live. Nor I want to spent 90% of my time with OS maintanence.

For audio specific applications ( such as my headless streaming client)
I go for special purpose setups.

The main issue I currently see is Pulseaudio.

No other base layer software of a Linux system is IMO that useless, faulty,
facing compatibilities and inflexible.

However. To get PA out of the distro or at least to be able to remove it requires obviously a massive community movement against it.
Otherwise it won't happen.
I once wrote a trouble ticket about being left with a broken system after removing Pulseaudio. Those ignorant guys just didn't care.

Anyhow.

My earlier question was just, if somebody knows if I can assume bitperfect out-/input ,when using the hw interfaces under the current Maverick 10.10 revision, considering that PA seems to be somewhere in the loop !?!?

Cheers

soundcheck,

Either learn to live with pulseaudio, learn to remove it, or change distribution. This software will be more and more indispensible in linux audio stack, has already reached a relatively stable version which works acceptably for regular ubuntu users with no tweaking desires. Expect to see it in embedded devices too - if you followed the alsa-devel mailinglist, you would see aSoC developers discussing new features they will explicitly not put into alsa and leave for pulseaudio as a higher layer.

Removing pulseaudio in Ubuntu 10.04 is finally simple, the major problem remaining the gnome audio applet supporting pulseaudio only (for now), must be replaced with another one.

The hw:X devices are raw alsa soundcard devices, pulseaudio is way higher and not in the "loop", unless it occupies the card which is a normal behaviour and will always be so. Of course the "default" device in pulseaudio-enabled distributions is configured with the pulse plugin to redirect audio streams from all "reasonably-behaving" applications to pulseaudio.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Perhaps, borrowing from Windoze, you can add a dummy audio device and point Pulse Audio at it freeing up the target audio device for direct hardware access. Or add a sound card to occupy Pulse Audio's limited brainpower and free your desired audio interface. I have had to resort to tricks like this to get audio measurement stuff working in Windoze.

Does somebody has expiereence with the newer style Ubuntu? ( Yes it's me asking this)
Cheers

Hello everybody,
I've been using Ubuntu for Audio since 6.06, but 10.04 and 10.10alpha/beta give me more trouble than I like, with Pulseaudio sadly being not the only troublesome thing. I am no longer able to start players with "sudo chrt -f 50 quodlibet" (example) as I could before, I experience crashes, audacious tells me "aborted", only mocp works as it used to do.
This seems to have something to do with the glib2.0 as posted here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glib2.0/+bug/453898

I didn't manage to change the RTC Frequency to 1024 or higher either, because the "rtc" folder in the "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" path ceased to exist.

This makes me wonder if I should go back to 8.04LTS where it still works. But it simply is no fun to have to go back to an old distribution. Makes me feel very, very stupid. :eek:

This thread is 168pages long, pardon me for taking this shortcut...
Is there an up to date short list (let's say Linux for dummies) for setting up Linux for audio?
What you need, how to do it, addons and options?

this would be almost impossible to do man :)))

In the linux community everybody would have built a distro in a different way. Everybody has his own theory on how a linux audio box shuld be... unfortunately there is a small documented empirical evidence on performance!

There is no consensus on how a linux audio box should be. I would say that for HiFI the following guidelines should be followed by non-linux-experts:

0. Make sure that your soundcard is supported by ALSA drivers.

1. have a minimal low level structure, Which in Linux means that you have to control your soundcard by ALSA. Pulseaudio, Jack and the like have interesting features, but unless you have full control of them it's better you stick on ALSA alone!

2. Use a player that can talk to ALSA directly.

First of all I would avoid Ubuntu after version 8. Recently Ubuntu uses Pulseaudio which is tricky to setup for hifi applications and it's not very simple to remove.

I personally use Debian for my job from a long time, and after brief experience with an Ubuntu audio box I switched to Debian. The only problem with Debian is that you could have problem with recent video cards, but you don't need a sophisticated video card if you have to play music.

My personal suggestion is to install Debian and ALSA and follow Alsa wiki to configure the audio card. Then choose a player (amarock, exaile, MPD+GPMC etc). As a start use a light and simple application like exaile. MPD with the Gnome Media Player Client offers a lot of nice features but it's trickier to setup.

If you have a machine that you use only for audio/video there is a further option which is to install XBMC live. This a stripped-down version of Ubuntu which install the XBMC player. You can even install the whole system on a usb stick.
This is a very nice player which can talk directly to ALSA and has one very important thing: it plays files from DVD-rom and CD-rom disks at very low speed with a large data buffer... to me this is a very important feature because it allowa to play high-resolution files from disks rather than having them on the HD.

Anyway the options are almost infinite!
P

Last edited by a moderator:
You should try it yourself first - before giving "smart" advise.

You might know that it is not my 2nd day in Linux Land. ;)
no, but perhaps some time have passed since the last time you've played with that. ;)

With Ubuntu 10.04 you can just do that, simply. No odd side effects.

(with some previous versions it was not at all that easy, I know).

no, but perhaps some time have passed since the last time you've played with that. ;)

With Ubuntu 10.04 you can just do that, simply. No odd side effects.

(with some previous versions it was not at all that easy, I know).

Ubuntu 10.04 is great, especially the 64bit version :) I'm running mine in a Vm.

So, is there a way to start applications in realtime then?
I would really like the idea of the new LTS to be that great, the looks are nice, new cool players like guayadeque for browsing your CD collection by covers, and so on. That's why I didn't simply go back to 8.04.
But without i.e. having my preferred applications running in realtime (without fiddling with each single PID), the 10.04 out-of-the-box to me is promising but not great.
Any help to get the "chrt" stuff back to work would really be appreciated, because over the years I learned to love the *buntus and I would like to stay with them...

greetings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.