Links to posts depend on "correct" #posts per page to work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm afraid that yes, you are all missing something.
<snip>
Now, if that is given to someone who is set to 50 posts per page, the link might not work, because, for them, page 407 doesn't exist and this confuses the browser/javascript. On my computer with the forum set to 50 posts-per-page, the above link does not work in Safari or Omniweb (I just end up at the top of my page 82, which is post #4051) but it does work in Firefox.

If the number immediately preceding .html in the above links (the page number) is removed, both URLs lead to the same post, regardless of web-browser and post-per-page settings. It would be good therefore if the forum's automatic link-parser (enabled by default), when parsing URLs and changing them to proper links when a user submits their post, would remove the page number from URLs before turning them into links.

Thank you for your time.
That's an interesting point I hadn't discovered. The part I snipped is what I had figured out, but I see there's more subtlety than I earlier realized. I run Firefox, but I don't recall if I ran into this exact problem or not.

yes I see the address when I hover.
I see a 200. with ending in 4630 in my own link when I am logged in and when I am logged out.
But when I hover over Salas link
I see 998. with ending in 4630 again both logged in and logged out.

It seems that the 4630 part of the address is being ignored and the links take me to the first post in the page part of the link.
And yes to next post. I see 4630 when I hover over the correct Salas post (9980).

Pano/Salas,
is it worth taking this group of posts to Forum problems? Or is it a fault at my end?

I have seen this happen many times and a couple of Members have described different analysis of what's happening but I have not seen a universal solution

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Mods, feel free to delete this, just giving feedback on the links. First link from #10004 takes me to post 10001, second link from #10007 takes me to post 9980.

#10004 link reads:
...diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/129126-simplistic-njfet-riaa-998.html#post3614630

#10007 link reads:
...diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/129126-simplistic-njfet-riaa-200.html#post3614630

In my user option I have set "Show 50 Posts Per Page", maybe that's related, I think the page number in the URL checks out correspondingly.

Last edited:
Salas, have you read my post #18 in this thread? It explains clearly the circumstances under which problems will occur and the steps necessary to correct it (short version: URLs shouldn't have page numbers in them because the page number depends on a user's preference setting).

Are there any admins paying attention to this thread anyway? Presumably it's only admins who'd be able to make fixes? I PMed Jason ages ago and got no response.

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
If the number immediately preceding .html in the above links (the page number) is removed, both URLs lead to the same post, regardless of web-browser and post-per-page settings. It would be good therefore if the forum's automatic link-parser (enabled by default), when parsing URLs and changing them to proper links when a user submits their post, would remove the page number from URLs before turning them into links.

Good summary. I will look into it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.