Linkplay up2stream/generic module i2s dac connection?

Hi
I've seen this board is used in many cheap streamers.
According to this it has fixed i2s output:
UP2STREAM Receiver Module DLNA AirPlay Wifi Multiroom Analog and I2S - Audiophonics
I'm don't know allot about i2s but does that mean you could wire up those cheap RPi dac hat boards or would you need a clock?
Has anyone wired an external dac to these as I haven't seen anything on searching.
I'm looking for a more reliable Spotify connect streamer than my rpi and volumio.

Last edited:
On the bottom of the PCB three pads are present labeled I2S-DIN, BCK and LRCLK, these can be used to hook up an external I2S DAC. The labels speak for themselves. The output has a constant sample rate of 44.1kHz with a bit-depth of 16bits. The LRCK and BCLK are generated by an audio processor that is present on the bottom PCB. That audio processor generates the analog output and is the master while the A31 add-on board acts as a slave. Effectively the up2stream board acts as a master and an external DAC can be connected as long as it acts as a slave. I got one of those cheap PCM5012A dacs from aliexpress to work without any issues. There is however one catch, you will loose the ability to control the output volume as this was done via the onboard audio processor.

Currently I am in the process of taking this one step further and connecting the A31 add-on board directly to a ADAU1701 DSP. Challanging are the clock frequencies as the A31 board requires a sample rate of 44.1kHz while most available solutions run on 48kHz. If I get this to work I might start a new thread discussing this idea.

thanks Pascal for the information about I2S input.
I just got the up2stream board yesterday, i listened through default line out audio, it's horrible!
I searched and found your post, and tried.I use my existing I2S DAC (ES9023) originally for my raspberry Pi, (in my picture it's still attached to my PI), sound is great now!, the output even can directly drive my HD600 headphone, I really like this little up2stream gadget ,my old raspberry pi really doesn't work well with this DAC, I am happy I can make use of the cheap DAC with decent results! thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_6767.jpg
    IMG_6767.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_6766.jpg
    IMG_6766.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 536
thanks Pascal for the information about I2S input.
I just got the up2stream board yesterday, i listened through default line out audio, it's horrible!
I searched and found your post, and tried.I use my existing I2S DAC (ES9023) originally for my raspberry Pi, (in my picture it's still attached to my PI), sound is great now!, the output even can directly drive my HD600 headphone, I really like this little up2stream gadget ,my old raspberry pi really doesn't work well with this DAC, I am happy I can make use of the cheap DAC with decent results! thanks again!

Pascal, hello! It's very interesting what happened with this board! Did you get a decent sound? I think to screw it to my DAC at 1541 by i2s. But while in thought about Raspberry Pi or try with such a board.

I am making, so far unsuccessful, attempts to connect Arylic to my DAC by i2s. The DAC is on TDA1541 has no SPDIF input. Direct switching to TDA1541 pins, as for the owners of Raspberry Pi, does not work. It is not entirely clear what to do next. Maybe try reclocking. Raspberry Pi, on the other hand, is crammed with a bunch of unnecessary smd elements, that can't effect sound well. And this streamer is more primitive, and theoretically should sound better.

On the bottom of the PCB three pads are present labeled I2S-DIN, BCK and LRCLK, these can be used to hook up an external I2S DAC. The labels speak for themselves. The output has a constant sample rate of 44.1kHz with a bit-depth of 16bits. The LRCK and BCLK are generated by an audio processor that is present on the bottom PCB. That audio processor generates the analog output and is the master while the A31 add-on board acts as a slave. Effectively the up2stream board acts as a master and an external DAC can be connected as long as it acts as a slave. I got one of those cheap PCM5012A dacs from aliexpress to work without any issues. There is however one catch, you will loose the ability to control the output volume as this was done via the onboard audio processor.

Currently I am in the process of taking this one step further and connecting the A31 add-on board directly to a ADAU1701 DSP. Challanging are the clock frequencies as the A31 board requires a sample rate of 44.1kHz while most available solutions run on 48kHz. If I get this to work I might start a new thread discussing this idea.

I am attempting this right now as well. Any success? I haven’t hooked it up yet. I was thinking the output signal was pretty noisy so it might need some isolation

Hi guys,

A little off-topic but similar issues.

Need help with LinkPlay A28 bought recently from Partsexpress, there are a few observation questions.

1) the parts express webpage shows LinkPlay A28 with BGA Memory Chip but the one which was received does not have it soldered.
2) Which DAC can we use, WM8918 ( mentioned in the datasheet ) seems complicated to do the PCB -> Can we use an RPI - DAC hat PCM5122 or ESS9023
Board from Arylic
3) Unable to connect to 10.10.10.254 or http://wiimu.com -> is there any workaround.
4) I was able to connect the Linkplay A28 to my local network by using wiim app but was still unable to access the webserver that the datasheet mentions.

Attachments

• LinkPlay A28 Bottom.jpeg
    LinkPlay A28 Bottom.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 75
  • LinkPlay A28 Top.jpeg
    LinkPlay A28 Top.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 83