Linear vs SMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have decided on which class D amp modules to use now the question is linear or SMPS?

My main concern here is audio quality. Both approaches have their own challenges as far as noise is concerned. The smaller size and cost of the SMPS are tempting but will this be at the expense of high frequency noise escaping in to the rest of my system?

I have decided on which class D amp modules to use now the question is linear or SMPS?

My main concern here is audio quality. Both approaches have their own challenges as far as noise is concerned. The smaller size and cost of the SMPS are tempting but will this be at the expense of high frequency noise escaping in to the rest of my system?

Hi,
If you are interested in SMPS designed for audio but want performances/noise and current burst as big toroidal/big capacitors, then see audiopower.it DPS-500.

Regards
R.P.

Hypex makes great SMPS, well designed for audio purpose. I have used SMPS180 with the modulator positioned in very close proximity to the input audio signal line, and no audible noise was detected (compared to audio signal line in different location far from SMPS). I was quite impressed.

My biggest concern with using SMPS for audio is not the EMI, but the failure mode of the supply. How will it's complex circuit hold up to the test of time, capacitor aging and such? The supply must also have safe disconnection from the amplifier in any failure mode, to protect everything downstream (amp, speakers). Another thing to consider is the repair process if the SMPS does fail. You will very likely end up simply replacing the SMPS as a module, while a linear supply is very simple, can be repaired quite easily.

Could someone point me to an article about this debate? I've just started looking into using a class-d amp and dont have an extensive electronics knowledge but somehow the linear strikes me as the better design for sound-quality (just a gut feeling, simply because there are less components - maybe a naieve one).

I am looking to build a six channel amp and am trying to get my head around the power supply requirements of it..

Regards,

Jai

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.