Linear PSU for NA ATX PC

. BTW ... I've never seen a use for (-)12V - [pin 14] .... Any sound card op-amp will use a separate (-) buck convertor.
PCI soundcards (along with RS232) used the -12V, for their analog section, typically followed by a regulator - see the linear regulators on the analog board of ESI Juli@:
1711003479993.png

Asus Xonar D2:
1711003849046.png

Since PCI-e has no -12V, PCI-e cards have to use the buck convertors.

The ATX -12V has been specced only at 0.5A.

I like my linear class AB amplifiers (Wolverine) , but even here , the builder's report better performance using instrument grade SMPS's
I suppose a linear supply has a "nostalgia" value ??? I use a toroid/capacitor bank on my main amp (had to use it somewhere).

OS
Comparing unregulated and regulated supplies is somewhat unfair. A fairer comparison would be between regulated supplies (linear and switching).
Ed

Very interested in what your conclusions are. I am about to try to install some lps in my pc.

Theoretically, I thought ECC can only introduce more (instead of remove) noise and jitter because it's fundamentally more steps and checks.
I've also recently tried a switchmode supply from HDPlex. I find the Plex and the Streacom are very good, especially considering the price! But, to me the Luxor lps does a bit better with just about everything, so that when you sum it all up you get a pleasingly noticeable improvement in soundstaging and definition. My only problem with the Luxor is that it's only 250 watts. If you're just using the computer for music (and the processor/mobo combo is fairly efficient) it's not an issue. BUT, when your setup is more power hungry, AND, you're using Windows-based software, 250watts may not cut it. Depends on your particular system. If I hadn't already jumped into the deep end I'd be moving towards a less demanding ITX motherboard or something in that neighborhood. Of course, I am where I am because I'm greedy…and paying the price. :p

And speaking of which, the prices being asked for most lps atx boxes is crazy, at least for those of us whose budget isn't totally at the service of audio. The HDPlex units are affordable for me, but you have to wait in line forever. And the stuff from Teradac I no longer trust in terms of value---the Chinese seem to have figured out what us Westerners are willing to spend for audio crap and they're beginning to stick it to us.

So…I'm following the advice of the great Nenon over at Audiophile Style, who recommends using a DC to DC ATX converter and a single voltage lps. https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/56982-which-linear-atx-psu/. Not exactly cheap, but……

As for ECC, I'm no expert on it. Several of the heavy hitters say it offers some benefits, and in the case of certain APACER Industrial RAM it's sometimes all you can find.

Let me know what you decide on the lps.

I had to find out so I got one of HD PLEX's new GAN ATX supplies a few months ago. The highest wattage version.

I have used the HD PLEX 500 watts linear supply for a few years. I was hoping that this supply could save some space - the linear supply is large.

The sonic difference was profound. I kept it in the system for a few days to give it a fair chance. The sound was murky, ill defined.

Returning to the linear supply was a sonic difference even a non-audio kook could plainly hear.

I wanted this new gadget to equal the sound but it is not close.

My expectation bias was that the new gadget would be as good but it was close to dreadful. As Blitz said earlier no matter where the noise is, it adds up It was not as if the noise was the obvious problem, either.

My music computer is Blitz's recipe using a rather exotic ASUS MB and an AMD CPU running DIETPI utilizing MPD with Blitz's minimizing of interrupts scripts along with separating duties of the cores. Using one of those devices that tell you the power consumed shows around 20 watts with music being played. Very low power required.

I want to try to make my own (again) and am thinking a supply based on Salas's L adapters might be really good.

One of these days.

The GAN supplies do not come anywhere close to what the linear supply does for the sound and the HD PLEX linear is far from the fringe of kookiness in comparison to the JCAT supply which sells for, in my unhumble opinion, an absurd price.

It might be interesting to use an SMPS before the L Adapters but it would certainly not lessen the complexity.

I would welcome an SMPS that sounded as good but we are not there yet.

Reactions: 1 user