Linear L-240 recap and...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the history of David Reid and why / where it has met its demise, and subsequently why there is no further information since.

The build quality appears to be on par with the Japanese amplifiers of the similar era, perhaps a copy as suggested or loosely based on Japanese design. I suspect its well worth the $40 I spent plus a bit of TLC.

A worthy soldering iron has finally arrived in my possession, so I'm close to getting under way here. Taking note of studio1's recs on a more directed diagnosis, and holding off on the re-cap, unless required.

Will keep the thread informed, and what's discovered.

:santa2:

Hey team,

Finally cracked into the amplifier with a fellow local diyAudio'er this past weekend. Perhaps I should say, I observed a master at work.

Couple of dead caps were the culprits. Both had a single leg that had deteriorated from the rest of the cap. Yuck.

She's humming now, not in the horrible feedback type way she was before repair.

An amp at home and at the workspace?! Sounds good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.