line level splitter/distributor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im sure this must have been covered before, but i have searched and not found anything.. Or perhaps its plain simple?

If i wanted to plug the output of an audio source into several different amplifiers and recording devices similtaneously how could i do it?

I dont want to simply split the signal up using Y-connectors as i lose 3dB with each split right? And also the impedance matching would suffer (?)

Im not 100% clued up on what happens exactly.. but anyway, I realise several parallel opamp buffers would work, but no cost/power effective or very elegant..

if i say have an opamp buffer with several (line impeadence) resistors in series with each output would that do it?

ok, just looked up the output impedence and its 47k
input impedences range from 47k to 10k on various amplifiers, soundcards and fx units..

so, if i were to build a buffer with something like a.. er.. cant remember the name of it.. ah buf634!? then that should be sufficient to power several loads without any detrimental effects?

thanks for yuor input btw

Optical said:
ok, just looked up the output impedence and its 47k
input impedences range from 47k to 10k on various amplifiers, soundcards and fx units..

so, if i were to build a buffer with something like a.. er.. cant remember the name of it.. ah buf634!? then that should be sufficient to power several loads without any detrimental effects?

thanks for yuor input btw
47K output impedance is unusually high. What is it? If it is an opamp it's more likely in the range of 100 ohms.
Yes, the BUF634 would be a fine choice for a buffer.
You may want to read this:
http://headwize.com/projects/showfile.php?file=opamp_prj.htm

It's probably an op-amp and should be able to drive several amplifiers. One thing to be wary of, however, is how long is the total cable that the op-amp is driving; they don't handle long cables very well without some damping. There should be several app notes out there you can google for information on how to do this.

p.s. Hi Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.