Line array Open Baffle using Line array wavegudes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the respones to everyone. Many of these with multiple bass or midbass drivers vertically aligned as well. I already have Eminence Alpha 15A drivers that I use on my 8 foot tall open baffles. My plan is to substitute the single CD horn for an array of the PRV's. Do You visualize it now? My concern is not the open baffle concept. Is the application of these multiple waveguides and an idea of what could go wrong.

Last edited:
Of course dipole line array can be done right. Look at SoulSonic
SoulSonic Speakers

Unfortunately, right means expensive
Well, I cannot get to that price range and certainly those are state of the art drivers but I think I can still apply that principle using dynamic non planar or ribbon transucers and still have excellent sound. But you pretty got my idea...

I think a dipole array makes sense IFF you are using it in a large enough room that you can pull it far enough out from the front wall so that front wall reflections aren't early reflections. Then the dipole effect will help control sidewall reflections and the sound stage will likely be awesome. If the dipole is too close to the front wall then front wall reflections will interfere with the dipole reflect and color the bass.

If you don't have a big enough room, then go with a monopole/sealed array and keep it as tight to the front wall as you can, or, even better, in the front corners. But you may then need an ambience or side/surround channels to simulate late reflections.

Last edited:
Not for me. My room is similar and the line arrays I'm developing are not dipole rather a sealed line of small full range drivers. I had dipole line arrays (Carver Amazing) in similar rooms and they always seemed cramped. I can see benefit from dipole effect keeping sound off the side walls but I see problems with front wall reflections interfering with the dipole effect and coloring the bass. Better to keep the arrays as tight to the wall as possible and preferably in the front corners and this means sealed, not dipole.

FYI, I think there might be some misunderstanding? He's not talking about a dipole for the treble. He's planning on mating an array of small horns with a dipole array of woofers.

It seems unwise to me to have rear radiation of a dipole begin suddenly at the crossover frequency with no rear radiation above that in the treble.

The other issue is that the horn has a minimum crossover frequency of 2,000 hz. You had mentioned crossing over to an array of 12“ drivers. That can be difficult to get great results up to 2,000 with a driver that large, and it breaks the center to center spacing rules of arrays and the center to center spacing rules between the tweeters and the woofers at the crossover frequency. Now you suggest that you might use the Eminence Alpha 15A, which has a minimum crossover frequency of about 500 hz with a steep slope in order to suppress the huge peak in its response at 2k. That leaves a gap in the middle and the need for a mid range driver. Were you thinking of doing a 12“ array and the 15“ array?
Now we're getting into an extremely expensive and complex experiment. I hate discouraging any one's ideas, crazy ideas are what give us innovative ideas, but this design has some pretty big disadvantages and risk of suboptimal results.

but this architecture:
line of CDs
flanked by lines of small mids feeding through Vshaped walls
flanked by lines of 12" woofers
is proven in any number of flown, steerable pro-sound line arrays used in large venues

Just way too big for a small room and, frankly, more than needed

So, If I use my four 15" alphas with about four 8" midbass drivers and 4 of the forementioned horns/waveguides in a mirror image in a 3 way configuration It might work? They still be open baffle for both lows and mids. Now, my concern is what kind of front dispersion pattern will I get? Because i already know what happens with dipoles in terms of rear dispersion and room interaction, 8-pattern, and other basic stuff. But I still love OB since I tried it specially with drums and how they sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.