Like the old days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

Did buy these old bose 301, getting start to restaurate, woofers need to be refoamed, old one is complete gone.

These do sound nice, I did always like them, from 1975 so very old.

Like the good old days, better for environment.

regards

Attachments

• DSCN3968.jpg
    DSCN3968.jpg
    943.2 KB · Views: 569
Installed new foam surrounds in these for a friend.

Easy job as the bass/mid cone self-supported firmly on its rear suspension and I had no need to remove the dust cap to use shims.

Sounded excellent when finished. P.S. I left the tweeter's series film capacitor and ceramic resistor alone!

Attachments

• Bose 301.JPG
    Bose 301.JPG
    326.5 KB · Views: 543
  • 301 b.JPG
    301 b.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 532
Here are some photos of the re-foaming process to inspire you. :)

Attachments

• Nice Speaker.JPG
    Nice Speaker.JPG
    408.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Both Repaired.JPG
    Both Repaired.JPG
    368.8 KB · Views: 167
  • Re-foaming Kit.JPG
    Re-foaming Kit.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 154
  • Foam Removed.JPG
    Foam Removed.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Removing Old Foam.JPG
    Removing Old Foam.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 511
  • Perished surround.JPG
    Perished surround.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 512
I have in past did one, also a 301 from a friend, then, I did fall in love, not the friend but the 301,s

I have also a build sub now a closed system with shelf filter (active) goes not into the 130dB but 110 dB is feasable with the long range 12 inch. go from 22 Hz and up, do sound well, nice bass and not big, it fires down over the floor.

regards

Attachments

• DSCN3780.JPG
    DSCN3780.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 126
So you're a 301 veteran! I'd have happily held on to the 301s I renovated, but my friend insisted on having them back! They were the Series II with the twin opposing tweeters. Being direct/reflecting speakers they require careful positioning, but this is rewarded by a rich vintage sound. Nice work on the sub by the way!

So you're a 301 veteran! I'd have happily held on to the 301s I renovated, but my friend insisted on having them back! They were the Series II with the twin opposing tweeters. Being direct/reflecting speakers they require careful positioning, but this is rewarded by a rich vintage sound. Nice work on the sub by the way!

Ì'm not a 301 veteran persé, there much more very good systems like horns, but these do sound very good for a normal box, I have the series II also with twin tweeters, unfortanely I miss a plastic cap between the tweeter and woofer were Bose letters are, not easy to find. I do like also old stuff, mine thinking about it is durable, I like to keep stuff alive, good for the environment also, Diyaudio is also such a forum, using old things to make something new, like tube/mosfet hybrides.

regards

Last edited:
I'm still using the Rogers valve amp and Wharfedale 12" drivers I bought as a student over 50 years ago - they are on target to outlive me!

I just hope they will find a new home and provide further years of use after I have ascended to the great hi-fi emporium in the sky! :cheerful:

I hope you stay with us for years to come, some people get very old, maybe you need a bigger amp later on because hearing get less.

My first set of speakers were Bose 901's. We lived next to a military base and a young airman bought a set (over a $1000 back in '79). He got transferred and decided to sell them. Bought them from him pretty cheaply. Funny thing is I had them in a mobile home for a year...the speakers were worth more than the mobile home LOL. I was 20 and living the good life.

Oke I have upload some sound after recone the two bose 301, I have include a subwoofer closed box with shelving 12 incher, get t0 20/25 Hz

Do not be shocked by the hard click you hear in the beginning, that is a revox taperecorder starting the music.

Sound is sometimes somewhat overmodulated (cracking with much bass) I think camera is a little sensitive, but it does nicely the very low frequencies.

The music is playing with the tube/mosfet hybrid I had design 15 years ago, no feedback dc coupled to mosfets and controlled by a servo. The bass
is quite clean with a closed box and have punch, but also when very low in the 20's it let shake things.

YouTube

But I need to buy a stereo mic recorder some day, and a good one, tips welcome, not to expensive also.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.