Lightweight turntable project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a couple more pix

Hi guys:

Just a couple more photos so that you can see how this was done from the underside.

Attachments

• back-side1.jpg
    back-side1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 298
and the last refinement (Ok, I might varnish it - or I might not :D ) happened today - I mounted my nude Denon DL-103. How does it sound now? Even better!

I got to do about 3 hours of critical listening today and ran through the whole gamut from Jazz to Rock to Classical. This little table realy cooks - amazing detail, very stable soundstage, excellently musical. And I don't know why the DL103 has a reputation for being bass-light - it sure isn't here.

Let the music flow :nod:

Jess

Attachments

• nude-denon1.jpg
    nude-denon1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 291
Nice job!

In regards to the funk firm, I wonder why nobody's tried making a light platter like the anchroplat they sell. AFAIK, its just explanded pvc, a pretty cheap sign board material you can get from just about any plastics supplier. I would think that it would sound a lot better than mdf.

lightweight platter...

Capt. Zach,

I agree. Actually am designing a super-duper lightweight platter. But if a super lightweight platter is used, something has to be done to increase Inertia. There are only 2 ways I am aware:
  • increase mass
  • use more than one motor

There is a fine line between a lightweight platter and something "too" lightweight. The concept of ultra-lightweight platter, and Colin Chapman, who added horsepower and engineered in lightness Lotus cars), could work here. ...hmmmmm.....

stew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.