Lies about our gainclones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mikelm said:
What should I expect from a firmwear upgrade

You can basically expect some bugs corrected.
Some are documented by Pioneer (in this case), some are not.
Comparing to any Sony DVD or SACD/CD machine I've seen, this Pioneer is ultrasonic reading and detecting the type of disc.
Some Sonys take as long as 20 seconds to detect a CD.:clown:
This Pioneer detects a CD in 3~4 seconds.

m0tion said:
I've got an SACD player that I'd be interested in tweaking (Philips DVD-763SA). I'm familiar with electronics, but I'm not sure about where specifically to start looking to increase it's preformance.

I must stress that each player is a case of study.
From the PSUs to the analog stage, to a clock (only if needed, after the rest has been taken care of).
The analog stage mods can be simple or not so simple like changing all the analog filtering stupidity present on some players that kills the sound no matter what op-amp you put there.

Thanks Carlos & m0tion, I will investigate

Generally these things run from SMPS's. My general upgrade tactic is to attach another box to the bottom of the player ( so the height is doubled ). Then I drill holes through and connect seperate high quality very quiet supplies to the different critical cct elements.

In my player this means + & - for analogue o/p, +5V for DAC board, +5V for clock cct.

also the o/p op amp should be changed, I am currently using a disrete component op amp which is one valid option

But also I have upgraded several caps ( not to BG ) and had noticable improvements ( some quite dramatic )

mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.