'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
One amplifier finished.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have to say that Anthony builds sweet amps. I tested through Mission 780se standmounts that I use just in case the amp blows up and destroy everything connected to it. I did blow something up but more on this later...

BTW the 780se were a nice design for the money. I only paid £120 from Richersounds six years ago or so. Mission model numbers are cryptic but I bet a few remember these:

Even with the little Missions I was thoroughly enjoying the music so something was right. I'm not sure the amp can take all the credit since this is the first time I've listened to loudspeakers in my listening room since doing an acoustic treatment number on it. Regardless the first thing that struck me was how layered and refined the sound was. Can't say I've heard them pull that trick before. Its late here and only intended on a quick test to see if I got sound but ended up listening for an hour and half.

I can imagine how utterly awesome this is going to sound once I get the LGT's up and at 'em.

* I did blow up one of Anthony's fine NXLSP400 modules after I inadvertently wired + and - the wrong way round. Most of the work on the amps has been taking place late at night so I blame it on that :cannotbe: :smash:

The poorly module will have to go back for fixing.

Shin Hi, do not worry about neglect certain that the damage is not many, besides Anthony is very competent and advises you where you want to repair it.
As you have completed your system to its hallucinogenic sound amplifiers that Anthony designs are very good and impressed by that are very well made and are impressive with their sound.
A greeting

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Cables are DIY. Wire is Van Damme and connectors are Neutrik XLR's.

Choose the wire mainly for the colour coding and as you might have seen with the terminals on the loudspeakers I like neutrik speakons so it was an obvious choice to use their range for line level signals. I also used 90 degree plugs because these amps will be used close to a wall.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hi Ant,
Looks great, certainly more polished than my own effort:

Picture537.jpg

You are further along also as I only have one "channel" done so far. Mine does have the added sweat factor of being 95% homemade - heatsinks, case, power supplies and even the amps - designed and built right here at the asylum. :crazy:

I find it difficult to maintain motivation to finish, wanting to start other projects in the meantime. Do you have the same problem?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
That's quite some achievement designing your own amp, especially considering your humbling beginnings and where its ended up at.

Brilliant work John. Not many folks can do both good loudspeaker and amp design. I'll stick to the loudspeakers and keep pushing money on the amp designers out there :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.