'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
ShinOBIWAN said:

I've also switched over to water based finishes and I have to say they have come along so much. Quite expensive at £63 for 1.5ltrs but it dries in minutes, seems tougher then celly finishes and the gloss is high.

Fast colour Ant! Very spiffy indeed.:cool:

Oouch! £63 for 1.5ltrs? That's robbery.

Results look good though. Do you think you'll be using that product from now on?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
MJL21193 said:
Results look good though. Do you think you'll be using that product from now on?

I think so, the price is a bit daft but its given me the incentive to look at other brands of waterbased and hopefully find cheaper and similarly performing ones. What surprised me the most is how quickly it dries, I left it out baking in the sun with a mild breeze and came back 30 or so minutes later to see what what happening and I could easily handle it without wrecking anything. That's something that was impossible with 1k. Seems pretty tough too although I wouldn't like to test it.

The clearcoat is still 1k acrylic though. Only the basecoat is waterbased. In fact I don't believe you can get a waterbased clear, is that right? I did ask my supplier but he said 2k is the way to go and commented that waterbased isn't tough enough to withstand the crud that a car bodywork endures. Since a speaker is going to live a rather sheltered and cared for life maybe this isn't an issue?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
ShinOBIWAN said:

In fact I don't believe you can get a waterbased clear, is that right? I did ask my supplier but he said 2k is the way to go and commented that waterbased isn't tough enough to withstand the crud that a car bodywork endures. Since a speaker is going to live a rather sheltered and cared for life maybe this isn't an issue?

Remember over in Sploo's thread I posted results of the clear waterbased urethane? That clear is very tough, tougher than the solvent based poly.
The final finish needs to withstand daily cleaning of slimey fingerprints from all of the awestruck fans, not so much road crud. ;)

Attachments

• im000946.jpg
    im000946.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 994
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
terry j said:
Shin

with this new paint do you still have to do the sand back and polish trick as in your 'famous' how-to?? or do you get the finish you want straight off the gun.

Famous 'how-to'?!? I thought only my mother liked it ;)

Depends on what your after really. For the best finish possible you'll always have to go over it with sanding and polishing but that isn't to say you have to do final finishing. And no, the new paint isn't any more or less needy of final finishing unfortunately.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Stripped back the silver on the last baffle in preparation for the red. Time consuming and fiddly, don't plan on doing that again any time soon.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And yet another completed cabinet section ready for primer. That makes 3 of those finished and one to go... thank god.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Fingers crossed for some decent weather tomorrow as I ain't at work so hopefully I can turn it into an all day priming session which should see the tweeter baffle, tweeter enclosure, 2 midbass baffles and a midbass enclosure all primed up ready for finishing coats.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I was curious to see how it looked against the black and with the recess insert.

I liked it initially but I think I'm even more fond of it now.

EDIT: Oh and its rained all day here so no spraying done. Typical, I should have kept my mouth shut and not mentioned it yesterday. If I'd done that it probably wouldn't have rained until I'd set the compressor up instead ;)

That looks terrible shin. The finish is uneven, and the colored layout lacks character compared to a proper woodworking finish.

Also, I question your dedication to getting the baffle diffraction minimized- round over all those edges. You are making it terribly ugly with all the 'look at me features'.

Now take everything above and invert its meaning :)

Seeing your finished cabinets has me re-thinking using wood veneer. You have absolutely stunning results but the very large cost, time commitment, and skill level required to achieve this level of painted finish seem very overwhelming. Add in the possibility of losing many hours of work due to a mix or climate issue…

I think it’s best if I stay with veneers. There are just so many fewer possible ways to screw up veneers.

I have conflicted feelings on your choice of Ferrari red. I am trying to not like the color combination because using the red should be cheap attempt to equate these speakers with a F40. The conflict comes from the fact that the color combination is truly amazing! The silver was gracefully gorgeous, but I don’t think this red removes any of the sophistication of the design. The new color certainly moves the “perceived performance” gauge up to redline.

Maybe the Ferrari red works because these speakers could be equated with a F40? That is it…these speakers deserve to be this color! :) (conflict resolved) :)

If the new color clashes with your room, simply paint the room. If it clashes with your furniture, simply burn the furniture and buy new stuff that matches the speakers. If it clashes with your wife, simply trade her in for a new wife that appreciates finer things.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: I like it

chrismercurio said:
Red is an extremely difficult color to photograph well. I have to assume that the finish is better in person than in the photos. I personally prefer wood to paint when it comes to furniture finishes but to each their own.

The red tends to look flat and homogeneous when photographed, black is the same too. This is because there's only a finite contrast range on cameras so they tend to miss the details in colour shade and reflection highlights. Our eyes are much more adept at picking up such details.

The silver looks better on camera because it clearly highlights lines and shapes, the overall colour tone is made that much more prominent because of light interaction with the metallic particles in the paint.

All these details are still there but the camera struggles to capture them or ignores them completely. If you move the camera up close to the red it gives you a better idea of what the eye is seeing because it can optimise its contrast range to suit thus picking up more detail:

There's still final finishing to be done on the baffle so ignore the orange peel in the gloss.

Having said all that, red is a strong colour and particularly this shade. So its usually love it or hate it. I like that strong reaction, it either blows you away or leaves you feeling disgusted. I have to say the couple of people who've seen it in the flesh absolutely hate it so maybe I just have great taste and there's sucks :p

Well, I may have said this in the perceive thread as well, but if they were my speakers I always have preferred black, just black, all black, so thats what I would have chosen for this project. But then again, I don't have the artistic talent to design speakers like this, so what do I know. You can tell by checking out some speakers I did make. Even the cones are gloss black!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.