Let's talk speaker cones...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I saw link around here somewhere -- (for now I'm going to guess it was on Zaph's website, I'll look around later to see if I can find it) -- about distortion measurements for some different cone profiles. I think the cone profiles looked at were pure conical vs. a progressive profile. I recall it dealt specifically with metal cones, but some of the results should carry over to other materials.

JJ

What is the correlation between cone profiles and materials to the actual sound that we hear?

This is one of my favorite topics, as cone breakup seems to be the most audible type of distortion to me.

I won't bore everyone with a ridiculously long post, but in my experience, only metal cones can reproduce all the detail that encoded in even a standard CD. But the cone breakup of larger metal cones can sound rather unpleasant. My 'currrent' speakers use a 3" titanium (more or less) cone.

JJ

You might also investigate the EnABL thread. A way to disperse even the major nodal breakup found in metal cones is discussed there.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100399
Also some work shown on how to eliminate reflections, diffractions and transient standing waves in all emitting surfaces, cones, domes, horns CD's, and the incidental surfaces surrounding the emitters.

Bud

You'll find Lynn Olson has some quite extensive commnets to make on the realtionship between cone material and sound quality. You'll find it in his "nutshellhifi" site or just Google "lynn olson speakers". The relevant section is Part Two of 'The Art of Speaker Design' or something like that.

My metal cones are like medical instruments, accurate, analytical and neutral. My paper-plastic cones sound warmer and more pleasant. Is warmth part of the music? For decades, speakers sounded warm (evolving). But i prefer metal (logic) than paper-poly (emotion).
But now i hear good things about wood cones..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.