Let's See a show of hands

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mercator said:
Well, its not really as much a battle as it is a negotiation, see here:Apegga Article

No, your news is out of date. That is dated 2001. AFTER that agreement MS renegged, and it has gone back to the courts.

As for your comment on courts, that is not country wide. APEGGA is getting killed in the court system but other organizations like the OIQ are kicking butt in front of judges.

tom daghdha said:
I'm doing Sound Engineering next year, does that count? And I can ride my bike real fast.

I did that Audio engineering path in the 80's, waste of time unless you are going to learn all the terminology. I learned more building show systems for IASCA and early Home Theatre systems then i learned there. Still learning right now.

Dont try to compare your bike riding speed to mine. I ride through Regent Park just for kicks. Cars cant catch me. :eek:

Licensed Professionals Demystified

Nearly all countries have something like a 'Professional Engineer' status which may be gained about 3 years working as an engineer after graduation of B.Eng degree. It's sometimes called a 'government ticket' and entitles the holder to call himself P. Eng, Pr. Eng, Ir , Dipl. Ing or similar.

What does it mean? I was a Pr Eng in South Africa and it was explained to me as follows by an old and seasoned civil eng:

Suppose a Pr. Eng civil engineer designs a bridge and it falls down and squashes a busload of schoolkids. The Pr. Eng is professionally responsible and will be successfully sued by all and sundry. The august body which awarded him his Pr. Eng will severly chastise him and may take his Pr. Eng away. He can be charged with negligence and even serve time. :smash: :bawling:

Now, without his Pr. Eng, he can design another bridge which falls down and squashes a busload of schoolkids. But now he cannot be held responsible for this because he was not professionally qualified to design bridges. :dodgy: Not being a Pr. Eng Civil he didn't know what he was doing etc. :apathic: It's highly unlikely he'll serve time or be successfully sued and the august bodies cannot take away what he doesn't have. However, the person/s who commissioned him to build the second bridge are responsible. They'll be sued and will wind up fighting Big Louie for the top bunk in the cell. :bawling:

In all likelihood, the P.Eng. hires the newly graduated B.Eng. to design the bridge, signs off the work and liability insurance, and takes both the credit and the debit. Same for architects. Seems unfair, until the bridge falls down. The B.Eng moves very far away, finds work with a different P.Eng., maybe designs another bridge!

:)ensen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.