• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Let's help Ruth and Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> he is sounding like a new man.

Maybe he is. Hospitals make mistakes. Babies switched at birth. Never heard of it on an adult, but those wrist-straps can go astray.

> he is able to make his way around the home ok, he is eating well

He'll be good. Walking/rolling and eating are on the path to healing. His 20 foot trip to the bacon might be like my 2,000 feet down the drive or someone else's 20 mile hike, but moving is moving and sure beats not-moving.

Just had a chat with Dave. I am happy to report he is still sounding rather happy about being this side of the grass. Like a person can have a spring in their step, Dave has a spring in his voice. I didn't keep him for long as Chris had just arrived but I kept him long enough to find out that he has started physio, is seeing assorted Doctors, is eating well, is getting his share of rest (kinda), isn't in a lot of pain, hasn't fallen down too many times and has resumed the snoring that is something of a trademark. Not sure about his turkish mud he calls coffee but I'm sure he's back at that.

Anyways, all good news and hopefully the physio will get his mobility back as there is still a bit of trouble with stability and it has to do with his left leg. It's not cooperating like the right one is so he's having to use the walker to get around and railings on the stairs. Hopefully by summer some of that nerve damage will have fixed itself as I hear he wants to do the diyIsleFest again.

:xfingers:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> hasn't fallen down too many times

Dave-- don't do that.

> by summer some of that nerve damage will have fixed itself

I dunno what you did, Dave, but nerves heal slow. I'm coming up on a year since a major nerve pinch, massive pain with some loss of sensation. I am a LOT better but I'm not up for a house party. But you clearly deserve a party. Suggest you grab the best chair in the house and let the party come to you. Collar your saner friends and make them help Ruth shuffle food and check potty towels.

I dunno what you did, Dave, but nerves heal slow.
I believe the nerve damage is from removing veins from his legs and installing them elsewhere.
but I'm not up for a house party. But you clearly deserve a party.
the IsleFest is the annual get together of diyer's. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-events/290125-13th-annual-vancouver-island-diyfest-2016-a.html Too bad about your nerve damage. Maybe you come to one of these and we'll see what we can do for you.
Collar your saner friends
He doesn't have any of those.
and make them help Ruth shuffle food
We try and lend a hand. It would be too much for one person to try and look after it all. It's a good group that knows the rules...

...for the most part. ;)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> the nerve damage is from removing veins from his legs

I suspected such. A doctor rip-out is different from me pinching myself at L5. The specific damage must be different. But I suspect the long-term take-away is: such things DO heal but it takes time. Much longer than healing other tissues.

> He doesn't have any of those.

I suspected such. (Though there seems to be some sanity leaking from his local friends?)

> Maybe you come to one of these

An attractive invitation. But it appears to be a 49 hour drive from me. I have not sat for 49 _minutes_ in over a year. Maybe another time.

Did you know there are crazy guys who ride their racing bikes up that hill? They gotta be slightly winded at 10,000 feet.
Many years ago a co-worker of mine took second in that race a couple of times if I remember correctly - while living and working at sea level. Not one of the guys from Colorado who sleeps at 8000 feet and goes on rides into the mountains from there. I worked across a bike stand with him while he removed brakes and only left a few gears on the rear wheel, none up front of course. One cable, the lightest shifter available, and scary light parts you would never want to hit a pothole with. Maybe there was a little tape on the handlebars.

I'll donate as I go through gift cards with small balances on them, they are what I use to buy stuff off ebay as I don't trust paypal to have access to a bank account.

Fresh off the phone with our pal. Here's the stuff he's too humble about:

His voice tells me he continues to recognize how good it is to be on the right side of the grass. Physio and home exercises sound like real progress is being made. Mobility issues that used to be measured in feet and inches are now being measured in meters. This is no doubt due in part to his determination (read stubbornness and impatience).

Not sure how much bacon he's getting these days but hopefully just enough to satisfy and not so much as to...

...well you know.

Sounds like the business did not suffer too bad by this as Chris was able look after much of it in his absence.

Didn't ask about Ruth as we (read me) were talking away but hopefully she's still 'strong like ox' as she has been during the whole ordeal.

All in all another great call. Too bad I'm busy enough that I hadn't got around to it for a couple weeks. So much so that Ruth sent me an email saying 'hey - you still alive?'

Sorry Ruth, I'll try and be better.

Cheers to the both of you. You are pillars that others should gather strength from.

Status
Not open for further replies.