• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Left my class A amp on overnight...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If its a decently built amp you only took 8 hours off the tube life

Well thats what im hoping, not normally something I would do. Didnt think my friend would switch it on when i went to bed as he must have stayed up for a bit, would have told him to make sure to switch it off if i knew he was going to use it lol

Anyway, here is the schematic, amp seems to still be performing OK.
58114d1139026471-building-ecl82-single-amp-ecl82_se_cut_1_small-gif

ECL/PCL82, probably the most reliable of the bunch. PCL82 SE class A used in practically every British mono TV set and rarely if ever failed.

--Unlike the PCL86, used in later colour sets, its slightly higher power replacement, Those things were awful-- changed dozens, but never changed a PCL82!

wow thats amazing, good to know!
All i know is the transformer gets really hot with this thing running, especially after being on overnight.

Looking at the given circuit diagram and the DC operating currents and restricting
my rough calculations to the pentode output stage:
Plate dissipation : 4.7 Watts (presuming the OT primary resistance at 2k5)
The specification (Philips) gives max.: 7Watts for A.F. appllications.
Grid No.2 dissipation: 1.5W
The specification (Philips) gives average: 2Watts
So not much to worry about I think.

This is possibly more important, it was a power transformer that started to burn in my left on amp, thankfully I was at home at the time, never left an amp on since

That is indeed what I could not calculate because Hammond gives only the Max. DC-bias current which is 60mA and sadly enough not the primary resistance of that type of OT.
And I completely overlooked that part of nzoomed comments.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5c0054.pdf

nzoomed,
Question, the mains transformer on the schematic is a Hammond 270EX, that's a 117 volt US transformer.
I was under the impression that NZ was 240 volt ac mains like the UK.
Do you use a drop down transformer or is something else fitted to your amp?
Alan

I have a low power (10 watts) 845 amplifier.
My boiler died so it has been on for the last week.

I have electric baseboard heat. I haven't used it in years. Apparently, computers, TV, and tube amps make lots of heat? Who knew! Usually by the evening, I have the windows open (Yes, even when it's -10c out). In the summer, I have 17,000 BTUs of a/c for my 380sqft apartment... Electric is included :)

Last edited:
nzoomed,
Question, the mains transformer on the schematic is a Hammond 270EX, that's a 117 volt US transformer.
I was under the impression that NZ was 240 volt ac mains like the UK.
Do you use a drop down transformer or is something else fitted to your amp?
Alan

Just so you know, i used a 230V transformer out of a Bell colt radio that was the same spec. Is still working perfectly :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.