LED flashlights (LED beam angle)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I received a 'free' blue LED touch with batteries (2X1.5V) from my parts supplier with the last order. The torch has a LED socket so allows interchanging of LED's.

Can I replace this LED with an ultrabright white ?

What is the beam angle I need for a torch ? (it's currently blue

Plastic LED's - has anyone tried heating the LED plastic to manipulate the beam angle ?

I think you can replace the led. You need to make sure the current doesn't exceed the leds requirements or it may get toast. This needs a resistor in series. Try different values (or a variable one). Start with higher values. There is a chance the torch already has a resistor. But most leds I see on e-Bay have voltages between 3V and 3.8V, which 2 AA batteries won't be good for. Some I see have around 2V though.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

I guess you can flatten, or even cut the round tip (lens) if you want a wider beam. That must be treated as an optical surface though, otherwise you may get distorted shapes or diffuse light easily. I think a lower angle value (<60degrees) is better for a torch, otherwise the light intensity will be too weak.

a white LED is basically a blue LED with the die inside a flourescent material to "fill" the missing colors to get white light but electrically speaking, it's a blue LED.

I assume that the flashlight has a small boost powersupply to run the LED with only 2 AA cells. but since it's already using a blue LED, using a white LED wouldn't be a problem.

It depends. If you would use a current source a parallel resistor would do, but 2AA batteries come closer to a constant voltage source.

Not all white leds use phosphor to glow white. Some use separate RGB junctions, the so called 4chip ones. They are even brighter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.