• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Learned something (the hard way) about mica capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It turns out if you pull a mica capacitor out of a drawer and it says "470", there is a 50% chance that it is 470pF, and a 50% chance it is 47pF!

I was puzzling over why the second channel of the 5B/254M amp I just put together was oscillating when I biased it over 30mA.

Looked all over, could not see any differences.

I looked over the mica caps... they were the same (two said "100" and two said "470". Hmmm, but they were slightly different...

Turns out one said "470 +/-5%"and one said "470J" ("J" means 5% too). But the one that was labelled 470J turned out to be 47pF!

DOH!

Pete

In case anyone not familiar with this numbering is wondering, here's a little explanation...

470 can mean 470, but it can also mean 47 and no zeros, so 47pF as above.
471 then means 47 and one zero, so really 470pF
472 then means 47 and two zeros, so really 4,700pF
473 then means 47 and three zeros, so really 47,000pF
etc.

I always keep components in their original packets so I know what they are without having to measure them.
Also the packets have the order code so I can check on the website if there is any uncertainty.

I had the same idea, but all of my old mouser packages have faded, and I can't read them anymore!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.