LEAK 3000 series

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, usually we do this stuff ourselves. It's why we are diyaudio...

Do you have a clue what you are doing here, Michael? :D

These look a fun design. I seem to remember hearing some, or the Wharfedale siblings when time-alignment was all the rage... not bad, actually. Didn't they employ plastic tweeters at this time?

Replacing tweeters is usually not too hard. We usually look for 8 ohms nominal and something that might fit and resembles the original in style. I'd assess the bass units too, look for foam rot on the surrounds before investing the bucks. And maybe look for fuses. BTW, it's not usually a good idea to drive speakers with broken tweeters too hard. It can damage your amp.

Drive Units: Treble Units, Co-axial Units, Midrange Units, Bass Units

Adjusting level is usually not hard, but it helps to sketch out the crossover. And get your measuring tape out.

Attachments

• Leak 3020.JPG
    Leak 3020.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 290
Hi Steve,
Thanks for getting back to me.

I have replaced the foam surrounds and dustcapson all 4 bass units myself, but the tweeters I didn't think were repairable at home for a couple of reasons.

1) They have extremely thin enameled wire which is very difficult to solder.
2) Assuming I did repair the voice coil I can not figure out a way to centralize the magnet on re-assembly.

I will post some pics soon to show you what I am up against.
Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.