LCY 130 or SCAN-SPEAK Revelator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings!

I am considerind a LCY 130 ribbon tweeter but I am in doubt if the SCAN-SPEAK D2905/990000 Revelator wouldn't be a better option (more natural? better dispersion? easier integration with other drivers?)

Target: 3.5-way project with tweeter xo at 4KHz using a 2nd order passive crossover (tweeters to replace are the Beyma T2030).

Thanks for the help.

Say more about the rest of the system, especially the midrange. I have the 9900 -and like it- but it is usually crossed lower to a relatively large driver. Directional control is the main advantage of the shallow waveguide on the 9900 which may, or may not, be appropriate for your situation. The idea is to match radiation patterns.

Yep, I like ribbons too!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks for the tips!

Concerning the Hiquphon OW, I believe they're short on sensivity, which would have to be at least 90dB 1w@1m, to match the other components.

The midrange is a 2.5" soft dome with high dispersion (120º). It is being crossed at 800/4000Hz, but I can cross it higher or lower, like at 3000 or 5000. You may check the full specs here:

http://profesional.beyma.com/ENGLISH/pdf/descarga.php?pdf=MC115.pdf

Pianos and voices on this midrange are 3D and natural but it does not integrate well with the current tweeter, which I intend to change. Unfortunately, cannot hear the LCY or the SS 99000 before buying, therefore your opinion is so important.

Paul, I see you second 4real's opinion on the 19mm tweeter.
The Hiquphon OW models II and III seem to be a good option (from the site data) - if they had a better freq. response above 20KHz (for SACD) and a little more sensivity, the specs would be perfect.

Any other 19mm suggestions?

We cannot indeed hear waves above 20KHz, but those waves interact with the waves in the audible range changing the way they sound.

From the 'Mark K driver tests' I found out the OW got some not so brilliant results, after all.

I will continue searching for alternatives to the LCY 130.

Sony said:
We cannot indeed hear waves above 20KHz, but those waves interact with the waves in the audible range changing the way they sound.

From the 'Mark K driver tests' I found out the OW got some not so brilliant results, after all.

I will continue searching for alternatives to the LCY 130.

this dispersion on the LCY is quite staggering for a ribbon

very good off-axis past 10khz

more efficent and better sounding than any dome, as far as I've heard

difference between the Seas and the LCY 130 is really just ridiculous... LCY eats it quite well

I would imagine the OW would be a significant downgrade from the SS or LCY...

Hi All

I am looking at putting together a speaker around the DEQX. Because of the high slopes of the DEQX I know of one constructor, MAC, who crossed over the Fountek JP2 at 1.2K instead of the recommended 2K. I have a preference for the LCY130 due to its superior build quality and vertical dispersion. I am curious however if people think it could also be crossed over lower than 2K using the DEQX. I am thinking of using either the Revelator 18W8530 or the Seas EXCEL. The seas distortion rises slightly above 1.5K while the Revelator will go lower than the EXCEL but it dispersion and response is not as good above 1.5K so that I would like to avoid crossing over above 1.5K.

Peoples comments and suggestions most welcome.

Thanks
Bill

4real said:
Are there any distortion figures of the LCY ribbons? And where can I get them in europe?

talk to andre at E-speakers about shipping to europe...

only hope I see cause I believe he's the lone dealer

also about distortion...

if I'm not mistaken I believe with simple math you can make quite good rough estimates of how much distortion a ribbon has

for instance... 3rd harmonic distortion is greatly reduced the closer to the poles the ribbon is... less than 1/32" would be around 0.1% if I'm mistaken

There is a car audio website which is selling the LCY 108/110/130 for $290 a pair (promotional) which is a substantial discount over the e-speakers price of about $400 a pair. I caved in an bought a pair some time back but havent had a chance to listen to it.

The ribbon can be bought here www.diymobileaudio.com . If you want to make an order, send a PM to the guy who runs the site, (npdang). He is based in the US and does ship worldwide (to me, for example)

This speaker has been talked about quite a bit in car audio circles. At this point there arent many who have had first hand experience with them, but the impressions i get indicate that the ribbbons are not built to go below 2000Hz. And 2000Hz is only achievable on typical car audio style - steep slope active crossovers.

But still i think that for 145 bucks each, just a little more than the SEAS Millenium and MUCH cheaper than a Scan Ring Radiator, for a wide dispersion, and very high quality ribbon tweeter, its just about impossible to go wrong. I seriously doubt any dome tweeter out there can match it's performance

I do hope to see measurements for these speakers as well one day.

Hope this helps

blackreplica said:
There is a car audio website which is selling the LCY 108/110/130 for $290 a pair (promotional) which is a substantial discount over the e-speakers price of about $400 a pair. I caved in an bought a pair some time back but havent had a chance to listen to it.

The ribbon can be bought here www.diymobileaudio.com . If you want to make an order, send a PM to the guy who runs the site, (npdang). He is based in the US and does ship worldwide (to me, for example)

This speaker has been talked about quite a bit in car audio circles. At this point there arent many who have had first hand experience with them, but the impressions i get indicate that the ribbbons are not built to go below 2000Hz. And 2000Hz is only achievable on typical car audio style - steep slope active crossovers.

But still i think that for 145 bucks each, just a little more than the SEAS Millenium and MUCH cheaper than a Scan Ring Radiator, for a wide dispersion, and very high quality ribbon tweeter, its just about impossible to go wrong. I seriously doubt any dome tweeter out there can match it's performance

I do hope to see measurements for these speakers as well one day.

Hope this helps

there's nothing stopping the ribbon from flattly going below 2khz...

slopes need to increase though

for example I wouldn't be scared with 1.5khz if I had 48db/octave

I've used both

I have used the SS 99000 and the LCY 130 on my MTMs. I prefer the wide dispersion qualities of the LCY. I cross it at 1500 Hz, at 110 dB/oct using the DEQX.

I detect no strain in the tweeter, even though it is crossed this low. I recently changed my mid woofers in the system from SS8545s to Seas W18s and cross low to avoid the resonance in this woofer at ~1600 Hz (and of course the larger one at ~5K).

Re: I've used both

jhenderson01075 said:
I have used the SS 99000 and the LCY 130 on my MTMs. I prefer the wide dispersion qualities of the LCY. I cross it at 1500 Hz, at 110 dB/oct using the DEQX.

I detect no strain in the tweeter, even though it is crossed this low. I recently changed my mid woofers in the system from SS8545s to Seas W18s and cross low to avoid the resonance in this woofer at ~1600 Hz (and of course the larger one at ~5K).

it's always seemed to me that ideally... the midrange should simply be better vs. finding a lower playing tweet

I like many people always plan for systems to have flat midrange response for well above 2khz... sometimes WELL above 4khz... this way mating with any tweeter is far easier... and you can have lots of choices

also I greatly dislike tweeters playing below 2khz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.