Large JBL horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These recommendations are all over the place.

Our recommendaions would be more useful if you could provide a few constraints.
1. Is a horn with CD dispersion desired?
2. Is this intended for a three-way or a two-way system?
3. Is the 400 Hz crossover a necessity or could you cross higher?
4. Are you willing to set up a crossover with filters steeper than first or second order?

Let me warn you that crossing lower and attempting a two-way will severely constrain your choices.

1. No
2. 3-way active between bass and mid, passive mid-tweeter.
3. I plan to crossover at 500hz, which requires a lower horn cf to avoid throat distortion, which is especially important with differaction horns as far as my knowledge goes.

But I have other threads on this project. :)

Well, this is confusing. You brought up the JBL bi-radial in the first place and that is a CD horn (constant dispersion/directivity) and it can also be used in a two system. The suggestion of the Electro-Voice also has these charactersitics (CD and can be used in a two-way).

I am guessing that what you are really after is a horn that is big enough to control (and load) down to 500 Hz.

Well, this is confusing. You brought up the JBL bi-radial in the first place and that is a CD horn (constant dispersion/directivity) and it can also be used in a two system. The suggestion of the Electro-Voice also has these charactersitics (CD and can be used in a two-way).

I am guessing that what you are really after is a horn that is big enough to control (and load) down to 500 Hz.

Yep, and not necessary CD. I brought up the JBL horn as I was curious of which model it was. :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just be aware that a horn you can cleanly cross at 500Hz will be large. Like >30" (76cm) wide. Sure, you'll read specs that tell you the small horns can do it, but look at the phase and distortion at the bottom of the range. They will give you a better idea.

A 17" wide horn like the Selenium or the old Altec 811 is really only good down to 800Hz.

1. No
2. 3-way active between bass and mid, passive mid-tweeter.
3. I plan to crossover at 500hz, which requires a lower horn cf to avoid throat distortion, which is especially important with differaction horns as far as my knowledge goes.

But I have other threads on this project. :)

Have a look at the horns and response data available at this site, if you have not already done so.

Wood Horn

Save some money by making the horns yourself. Use that savings to buy the TAD drivers to go with them.

Regards,
WHG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.