• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Kuei Yang Wang Inspired Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thorsten is a flake. Ever read how he coated a component system PCB in C37 and rounded the PCB edges and that made it hifi? Using grid lead bias in a phono stage is ridiculous, you defeat one of the biggest advantages of passive RIAA's better overload recovery by cutting off all the headroom.

Thorsten is a flake. Ever read how he coated a component system PCB in C37 and rounded the PCB edges and that made it hifi? Using grid lead bias in a phono stage is ridiculous, you defeat one of the biggest advantages of passive RIAA's better overload recovery by cutting off all the headroom.

Can't agree more. Not a single substantiated claim. Let alone his various and ridiculous aka's :rolleyes:.

Best regards!

And that is why he is part owner and tech designer at one of the most successful audio companies in the last 20 years.. and you are?.. <what exactly> suffering in your jocks?

Try and be happy, TL designs stuff which works. Build it, or buy something the same/different. Either way it seems that your panties need washing; sorry to say that they smell.

HK

Last edited:
Can't agree more. Not a single substantiated claim. Let alone his various and ridiculous aka's :rolleyes:.

Best regards!

I'm another TL fan - have never read anything about him being involved with the wood nonesense but I do like his work and writings - the wood coatings website that gets my goat is here: The Altmann BYOB amplifier

Last edited:
I am looking to build a tube preamp with phono stage and stumbled across his "Valve El Cheapo". This seems a good compromise of the various phono stages I looked at.

Power will be supplied with a SSHV2. I am thinking of putting the power transformer, rectifiers and initial filtering in a separate chassis. My only concern is I am considering AC heaters and not sure it is a good idea to run AC heaters in the same power umbilical cable as rectified B+? Worst case I can just build an unregulated DC supply in the PS chassis for the heaters.

For a chassis I am thinking about the Dissipante so I can utilize one of the heatsinks for the SSHV2 yet keep the entire preamp enclosed in a metal enclosure.

I've read that many folks built this phono amp and liked it. I've not heard one. In terms of construction I have seen many folk suffer from hummmmmmm. It's often said that it's all in the grounding, but I have had hum from nearby power transformers be a problem. Even if using one chassis I'd compartmentalize it so that the PSU is well isolated.

This past weekend I got the phono stage up and running! It is definitely very particular about grounding and sounds best when Thorsten's grounding scheme is used. I am still getting some low level hum but only using a single RC filter on the PS for prototyping. All of that should disappear when the shunt reg is swapped in.

https://www.facebook.com/craigtoneaudio/posts/1116791248505730

I'd love to see a comparison between the Thorsten setup and the circuits posted by Eli and waltube- Both of theirs seem a bit more elegant that the Thorsten circuit, and the waltube version in particular has a lot to offer, would love to build one with subminiature 6n17b gain stages and 6n16b cathode followers, or even the usual 6n2p/6n1p or 6SL7/6SN7 :)

I'd love to see a comparison between the Thorsten setup and the circuits posted by Eli and waltube- Both of theirs seem a bit more elegant that the Thorsten circuit, and the waltube version in particular has a lot to offer, would love to build one with subminiature 6n17b gain stages and 6n16b cathode followers, or even the usual 6n2p/6n1p or 6SL7/6SN7 :)

If there's an objection to the use of grid leak bias for the second stage then both Thorsten's and Eli's designs would be counted out, leaving only waltube's standing.

In an RIAA preamp with passive all-in-one EQ, the second stage is going to be seeing a larger amplitude signal, so will be most prone to overload.

Since grid leak bias depends on grid current to create the grid bias voltage:

- Doesn't grid current reduce the input impedance of the triode?
- Don't triodes vary quite a bit in how much grid current will occur in a grid leak bias config? Will both triodes of an ECC88 draw the same grid current and present the same input impedance?
- Wouldn't the above vary the loading on the first stage and RIAA EQ, causing unpredictable variations in performance from tube to tube?
--

If there's an objection to the use of grid leak bias for the second stage then both Thorsten's and Eli's designs would be counted out, leaving only waltube's standing.

In an RIAA preamp with passive all-in-one EQ, the second stage is going to be seeing a larger amplitude signal, so will be most prone to overload.

Since grid leak bias depends on grid current to create the grid bias voltage:

- Doesn't grid current reduce the input impedance of the triode?
- Don't triodes vary quite a bit in how much grid current will occur in a grid leak bias config? Will both triodes of an ECC88 draw the same grid current and present the same input impedance?
- Wouldn't the above vary the loading on the first stage and RIAA EQ, causing unpredictable variations in performance from tube to tube?
--

I agree, but if this "comparison" is just some kind of listening party, aren't you arguing about bringing a tape measure to the fishermen's tall tales club?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.