krell ksa 50 capasitor help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A bit later KSA-50. The date code on them is 1984. These are either customs or at least re-branded.

Mark

Attachments

• kr048a~1 copy.jpg
    kr048a~1 copy.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 276
beckypumps said:
Thanks guys.

Their is no bottom end to the sound things went pear shaped ages ago when I attempted to adgust the bias and managed to snap of a roc cap 16v 1000uf next to

Since the capacitors seem to be in the right direction, I am wondering if you ever tried any other amplifier, and if you can say that an alternative amp gave you in fact more bass? Just guessing, could be the loudspeaker surrounds are torn...

Cheers!

Clem

Speakers are fine they are soundlab m3s also for test purposes im using townshend glastonburys with full range jordan drivers+ribbon tweeter. my main amps are ASL hurricans and I have a few integrated cheepies that all give out proper bass.

Some people are talking about the feedback loop. Im not 100% sure what this is but would prefer to change a inexpensive cap that 4 big ones.

could someone explain about the feedback caps in simple detail to me, I feel that im at the bottom of a steep learning curve here.

Also thanks for everybodys help so far.I have also posted this question on audio asylum diy page.

beckypumps,

The "feedback loop" is the connection from the amplifier output to its input stage, a way for the amplifier to correct any errors its output produces. From the KSA50 pdf, those components would be R12, R11 and C3. Try replacing C3; if its capacitance has dropped due to age/heating it could cause the symptoms you describe, as others have advised...

Cheers!

Clem

I have a pair of Krell 40,000 uF 75 WVDC caps here. They were made by Capacitor Technology but are also branded as KRELL IND.

I reformed them about 10 years ago and they checked out OK but have since been gathering dust on a shelf.

They are "free" if someone will pay postage and give me $10 to package them and get them to USPS. Any interest?

Dimensions 5 5/8" tall and 3" in diameter.

Dick

I would like to thank everyone who gave me info on my old krell ksa 50 amp.It is now fixed and also I have found out it is a mk2.

The neg feedback loop was to blame. caps were ok but it had a poor earth.I should of checked continuity on both sids of the PCB!

This is a major achevment for me as im not electricaly trained. now then what can I take to bits next?

Kindest regards

Beckypumps

Excellent!

Congratulations!

Perhaps next you can "rip to bits" some more items as you say. Hmmm why don't you replace the output transistors? I believe the Krell shipped with MJ15003/4, you can update these to new modern Onsemi devices MJ21193/94 and perhaps it will sound better and more refined? Plus, the old devices were probably wearing out from all that heat and even replacing them with the same devices (which are still made) might be an improvement.

Just my suggestion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.