krell kav300cd fault

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Krell kavcd300cd has been having problems with reading cd's, taking a long time to load, not being able to find a selected track, not reading some cd's at all, so I changed the laser assembly, I stupidly forgot to remove the static protection solder blob, now the disc is not spinning, can any one please help.

Hi ColinA, thank you for your help, I replied but it has not shown, so I assume I done something wrong. I replaced the original laser, and the problem still exists, I'm not an engineer, but get the feeling not removing the solder static protection, may have blown something, I got the replacement from a uk based ebay seller for £10.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
So has the 'fault' changed from you originally starting out on all this, because it does read as though it was working, at least up to a point.

If so then you need to very carefully check all you have done. Make sure the flexiprint is undamaged and that it is correctly clamped in the pickup socket.

Beyond that and you are into more much more involved faultfinding requiring the use of an oscilloscope.

KSS213C are available from here:

UNBRANDED - LPU31105 - SONY KSS213C CD PICK UP | CPC UK

and here:
Search results for kss213c

You'll see how much the genuine parts cost.

Hi Mooly, thanks for all your help,first thing I done was clean the laser lens made no difference,
the disc was spinning fine up to the point when I replaced the laser, I understand the basics of electronics, but have no faultfinding equipment,there is no visible damage, I have had the unit for over ten years, got it second hand, so it's not done bad,

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The platter will not begin to spin until the laser finds focus on the reflective layer of the CD. Its done that way because its much easier to focus on a stationery object. Only when that focus point has been found will the disc be kicked up to approximately the correct speed, at which point the servos take over and alter the disc speed such that the data coming off the disc is compared and locked to an internal crystal oscillator.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.