Kit suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am interested in building my own amp. It will be used for HT as well as music (about 60/40 music to HT). My electronics design expereince is somewhat non-existant:) so I am looking for a kit to get my started. The speakers I will use will be of 91 db sensitivity with a Philips planar ribbon and Focal 6W and 2 8Ws for the fronts. The center will use the same drivers in a diff. configuration. The rears will be of the same sensitivity. What are some kits that yall can suggest for me? I have soldering experience etc just not designing my own;)It can be anywhere from a monoblock to a 6 channel. Thanks for your help!!!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Kits

Rollo,

I don't know where you are from, but here are a few sources for kits to get you started. All of them are pretty good.

Do searches on the net for:

-Marchard Electronics

-Mark V Electronics

-Borbely Audio http://www.borbelyaudio.com

-BK Electronics http://www.audioxpress.com

You can get mono blocks from all these places, with different degrees of difficulty, cost and quality.

I am from the US. I have been looking around at kits and was wondering if kits were difficult to build? If the boards are printed and I am able to solder is this still beyond my reach to have a kit? Take LC Audio for example, I e-mailed them and they recommended me let them build it for me-for a small few hundred dollar price pf course. Are there any opinions on LC Audio btw? Thanks for all yalls help!!!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
If you are careful of placement, part values and connections you should be able to put something together if you have good solidering skills. Learn schematic symbols. Radio Shack has simple booklets that are indespensible for this.

!!Be careful of working with line voltages. Never turn anything on until you've triple checked everything and then checked it to be sure one more time. Exercise extreme caution and be safe!!

Some of the companies I mentioned have both assembled and un-assembled kits. Try to look for a company that will trouble-shoot stuff with/for you too.

They are not easy, but it can be done. You have to start w/ simple projects. I wouldn't start w/ a 100watt class A amp as your first amp project. Don't rush the process. Take your time.

If you have any questions, you can email me.

[Edited by vdi_nenna on 04-02-2001 at 03:42 PM]

Again in the case of the LCAudio kits, I think that the boards are printed and have outlines etc of what goes where as well as detailed instructions. So I think btw that and my soldering skills-well not mine but I have a friend that can solder well and can teach me-I can perhaps tackle a project like this. Also, if I run a 5 or 6 channel amp in one chassis, is it better to have one larger torrodial or separate ones? Thanks for the help!!!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I don't know much about LC Audio, The End Millenium is said to be a nice amp. If you look under diyaudio.com>Amps>projects, you'll see a link for a guy named Andrea, he talks about it on his site. Great site to look at too. Tons of info.

It's best to use a trans per channel. You'll get the best results that way, but six trans in one case could cause much interference!

BK electronics has a transformer & power supply with its mono kit. It was reviewed in Audio Amature Magazine. It's kind of modular. If you have 2 cases that are large, you could make 6 chs worth of amps without crowding the space too much. I have a copy of it, if you're interested in it. I could send it to you.

good luck!

Vince

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.