Kind of DIY for the cheap!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking around ebay for a cheap LCD Panel and I stumbled across this little gem. It's an Infocus Projection Panel. It's 10.4", 1024x768, and displays 1.4 Million Colors. Not great, but no bad either. Here's some screen shots from it. Don't bash me too bad. Oh yeah, it's sitting on a 3M OHP 360w 82v.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:D

aad1972 said:
I was looking around ebay for a cheap LCD Panel and I stumbled across this little gem. It's an Infocus Projection Panel. It's 10.4", 1024x768, and displays 1.4 Million Colors. Not great, but no bad either. Here's some screen shots from it. Don't bash me too bad. Oh yeah, it's sitting on a 3M OHP 360w 82v.

a good find and nice results indeed :)

kind of difficult to find that LCD here.

How much did that lcd put you back? When I first got into DIY that was going to be the projector that I was going to build, because it wouldn't have taken any effort. Since I haven't any personal experience using that overhead lcd I was wondering if you could clue me in on how they stay cool enough to not get fried on the OHP? My idea would be that it has a fan built in, or the actual LCD is made for high temp.

It's an Infocus PowerView 950. I got high bid for $120 and paid $20 Shipping and Handling. I know I could have bought a nice discounted LCD Monitor for that price, but you got to admit this is alot easier than stripping one apart. Oh, yeah the OHP was $20 Fleamarket.
It was asked if these panel get to hot on the overhead. These panels have built in Fans which keep them cool, otherwise they would diffinately get too hot.
I have for two years been purchasing and selling projection panels on ebay. There are alot out there that are total crap and others that work quite well. My Favorites are Sharp, Infocus, and Apollo panels. I've gotten these panels pretty beat up, but still working.
Now if this is the path you want to take in home theater, there are a few things you should know. First these panels are not HD Quaility panels. They are Good for HT but not Awesome for HT. Most of the time they don't cost alot and setup is very easy. Most panels will only offer 640 x 480 resolution and resonse time will very from 25 - 30ms. Most panels have a color range of a few thousand to a few million. Remeber also, this is old school technology.
For those of you still interested, look out when bidding. I really hate those "I powered it up and it came on, no further testing done." Almost any panel will power on, the fan comes. This doesn't mean anything. Fans rarely stop working long after the panel is dead. Anyone can offer "not DOA" on a fan. Look out for those " In good working order, but sold as is." IE dosen't work! Try and make sure it comes with the powersupply and cable. Tey and bid on those panels that have actual working photos of the panel. If you get a "NOt DOA Guarrantee" make sure it's for the panel too. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.